lola T70 chevy <-> aston martin engine bay

Moderators: Gerald Swan, Glyn Jones, Johan

lola T70 chevy <-> aston martin engine bay

Postby bbkbuys » Sun Jun 01, 2008 8:05 pm

Hi, i'm new here, so maybe i'll introduce myself first. I'm a model collector/builder/shop owner, currently working on Tamiya's 1/12 Lola MKiii kit. Actually, 'im converting the MKiii model (depicting the 1967 Le Mans racer) into the 1969 MKIIIB Daytona 500 winner.

Unfortunately, Tamiya made some errors with the kit.
1. The kit comes powered by 5lt chevy, double weber setup. This configuration is not correct for the Le Mans version, which had the Aston Martin Project 218 engine installed. Not sure if this was with fuel injection (think so) in stead of webers.
Now, I'm planning on reproducing the aston martin configuration to fit the tamiya kit.
So here's my questions: anybody has some info on the Aston Martin engine? Pictures perhaps? Technical drawings/cut-away views/dimension tables... And if was it indead fuel injection, which manufacturer (lucas?) All info that could help me to reproduce scale model of engine, would be welcome.

2. As i don't have any info on the aston martin engine itself, i decided to build the car as the mkiiiB daytona winner, after all, the chevrolet engine included with kit, is correct for that race. With pictures as reference, i already redone 95% of body work. But now that i'm moving to engine bay, same problem of too little information sticks its head up once more.
I know the daytona racer used fuel injection in stead of webers, but can't find any reference. So my questions: this fuel injection, would this most likely be lucas manufactured? And was it mechanical or electronic injection? Any pictures anybody?
Ehh, any pics of the original number 6 racer would be welcome, as i only found very little info concerning this car although it did win the race, no?

As i'm only entitled to post URL in 2nd posting, i'll respond to this message with some links to model i'm building.

Thx.
Wim
bbkbuys

Postby bbkbuys » Sun Jun 01, 2008 8:05 pm

For those of you interested in the Tamiya 1/12 scale model:
http://www.iaiamedia.be/tamiya/tamiya-d ... tnumber=13

MkIII -> mkIIIB conversion build report: http://www.iaiamedia.be/tamiya-wip/1-12 ... aMKIII.asp (eh, and webers should not be in here ;-)

Thx already for your help.
Wim
bbkbuys

Postby Chris Fox » Wed Jun 18, 2008 1:57 am

Wim,
We are restoring an Aston Martin T70 at the moment.
We have the original engine with it and it is on injection.
Chris
Probably the largest selection of historic parts in the world.
Chris Fox

Postby bbkbuys » Wed Jun 18, 2008 12:17 pm

Chris, thx for info - sent you PM.
Guess it was Lucas then, no?

Wim
bbkbuys

Postby Chris Fox » Wed Jun 18, 2008 11:00 pm

Yes it is the Lucas system
Chris
Chris Fox

Re: lola T70 chevy <-> aston martin engine bay

Postby bbkbuys » Sat Dec 31, 2011 2:13 pm

chris, could you check you mail box, sent you PM

Regards
Wim
bbkbuys

Postby Chris Fox » Tue Jan 01, 2013 5:07 pm

Wim,
There is nothing in my inbox?

You could try :- chris@lolaparts.com
Chris Fox

Postby bbkbuys » Tue Mar 19, 2013 10:40 pm

chris,

not sure what message was, was sent 2011 ;-)

I have finished my drawings of aston martin engine in 3D (scale 1/12), and got it printed... Printed parts are on their over to me, so no pics of these yet...

Some shots of aston martin engine

bbkbuys

Postby bbkbuys » Thu Apr 18, 2013 7:04 am

Progress is made...
The lola mkiiib sunoco sponsored Daytona '69 winner in 1/12th, as built by David Sorensen (Hawaii)

Lola - Aston Martin Le Mans 1967 body parts

Aston Martin enigne in 1/12 printed & test fitted in scale model

Wim
bbkbuys

Postby bbkbuys » Mon May 27, 2013 10:05 pm

Hi all,

today i finished the 3D drawings of the AM engine. The exhaust pipes were still missing, and I needed to adjust few things
- position of spark plugs is reworked
- exhausts are added, suspension torsion bars run trough the exhaust splines
- bolting holes on valve heads were moved a little
- engine block made hollow
- better fixation points to exhaust headers replace previous ones, so it will be easier to install exhaust pipes.

So, engine is now fully drawn, 3D printed parts have been in & out of car for test fit. So, let's have exhaust & reworked parts printed, and get this engine on the market.
One pro having all developed in 3D: to build manual, i just have to hit an 'explode' button... Yeay.
Anyway here are some pics of drawings. Next stop: launch!

Any thoughts? They're welcome...

Wim
bbkbuys

Postby bbkbuys » Fri Jun 21, 2013 5:17 pm

While waiting for last batch of 3D printed parts, i did the manual that will come with the kit. Since the model is 3D drawn, it was rather easy to make a 3D animated building manual. As far as I know, to include a 3D animated manual in a model kit, is a world première... yay!!
Sequences 3 & 8 (out of 9) give you a good idea of how all looks like.
Sequence 3: constructing right valve head http://www.bestbalsakits.be/bestbalsakits/gifs/manuals/1-12/bbk/12007/movies/3valveHeadRight.swf
Sequence 8: adding exhausts http://www.bestbalsakits.be/bestbalsakits/gifs/manuals/1-12/bbk/12007/movies/8exhaustSystem.swf

Standard manual with 2D drawings consists out of individual key frames of animated manual. Some screen shots:

wim
bbkbuys

Postby bbkbuys » Wed Aug 07, 2013 7:49 pm

Few weeks ago, i received 2nd batch of 3D printed parts for my 1/12 Aston Martin Project 218 engine: the exhaust system was still missing. Well, now it ain't :-)
I have been cleaning/tweaking parts for last few days and only need to clean both valve heads & engine block before I can send to caster for repro. I decided on which rivets to include, and ordered 1st batch of them. When all parts are cleaned, i'll try to get a pic up with engine sitting in car.

Some pics of engine (i counted somewhere near 90 parts - having internal detail helps of course - and I will be adding over 200 metal simulated hex nuts with stud in 3 sizes + some custom made metal hardware parts (20+) to connect the lucas fuel injection & metering unit. )

Wim
bbkbuys

Postby bbkbuys » Sat Aug 17, 2013 12:20 pm

last update before parts are sent to caster: just a quick fit using some some prepped parts (exhaust) & other duplicate parts to show fitment of exhaust system.
Used as little prepped parts as needed, would need to clean again after dismantling. Other detail parts left out, they have been test fitted previously.

wim
bbkbuys

Postby bbkbuys » Tue Sep 01, 2015 11:44 am

The 1/12 model of the Lola Aston Martin as raced @ Le Mans 1967 is finished... We already have the kit/transkit/engine up for sale for a while in our online shop, but finally we can also show pictures of the finished model. The model is built by Thomas Halvarsson from Sweden.

More about the build, and/or about the transkit, kan be read here: http://www.kitlotus.com/Kit%20Lotus%20guest%20special.pdf

On to the next now...
Wim
bbkbuys

Return to Lola Heritage Forum