Trying to decide on an engine for 78' 492

Moderators: Gerald Swan, Glyn Jones, Johan

Trying to decide on an engine for 78' 492

Postby Gmoran » Thu Nov 12, 2009 2:56 am

The original engine is in need of major repair and as much as I want to keep the car original I don't think it's possible. I am looking for a new engine to use with the original transmission.

I saw one on the forums with a Ford DOHC 16v in it, not sure what motor it is though.

I have been looking at the Ford Focus Duratek and Zetek engines. Anyone know if those will work or have a better suggestion?
Gmoran

Postby 911hillclimber » Thu Nov 12, 2009 5:37 pm

Are you sure you want to drift from the original?

These cars are fetching 30K $+ here in the UK!

you can get a fully reconditioned long block in the UK for about $1500, the webers are new @ 600$

If the dry sump end is ok you are done.

Cannot the original engine be saved?

Before choosing my Porsche engine for mine I looked hard at the duratec, and that is a very nice option imho, and i would have save so much greif if I had done that.

Tweeked well you will see a reliable 200+ bhp and on injection too.
Gearbox might not like it though....
Avid hillclimber, just bought a Lola T 492 to hillclimb.
911hillclimber

Postby Gmoran » Thu Nov 12, 2009 6:51 pm

I was going to restore it but it is in bad condition and I can get a brand new Duratec motor (3k miles) for $800-$900. I am definately going to save the original engine in case I want to sell the car though. I really want to get her back racing, that is my main goal and takes precedence over keeping it original. I want to get her running again and work on the original engine in my spare time.

So the Duratec is the way to go and not the Zetec eh? I have been looking at both engines and it looks like the Duratec has the same layout as the original motor. The Zetec has the intake/headers switched around to the other sides.
Gmoran

Postby 911hillclimber » Thu Nov 12, 2009 10:34 pm

Yes, the Duratec is the better option of the two.
In the UK there is a company who are seen as the wizards for these 4 pot Ford, Burton Engineering.
In their calalogue there is a good description of the plus/minus sides to all the fords. Good read, maybe online too.

Google will get you there.

That is a very good price for the motor esp if it is fully dressed for that with ECU.
911hillclimber

Postby Gmoran » Thu Nov 12, 2009 11:52 pm

I believe it's just the engine. I'll have to aftermarket the ECU but that's no big.

It's from Japan Direct. I don't know if you guys know this but in Japan they have biennial inspections which are very expensive and very hard to pass due to the rust problem in Japan (surrounded by the Pacific). The cars that don't pass usually aren't repaired and a new one it bought. Most cars in Japan don't make it past 60,000 miles. You can order the engines from the Japanese cars from people like Japan Direct for dirt cheap prices. I found 5 possible Duratec motors for under $1,000 each all with less that 5,000 miles on them.
Gmoran

Postby 911hillclimber » Fri Nov 13, 2009 6:49 am

That is right, I imported a hot Subaru Impreza to hillclimb for a few years before buying the Lola. It is v popular here in the UK as they are right hand drive cars.

There are several 'parts' people buying these dismantled cars too.

Duratec it is then!
911hillclimber

Postby driftwood » Mon Nov 30, 2009 3:46 pm

personally i would fit the origina pinto to the Lola keep it original and saves making parts like eng gbox adaptor plate input shaft exhaust

also the duratec gives more power so gearbox is now stressed and under braked

in UK there are now 2 classes for S2000 cars original pinto & Duratec

its bad enough that someone has fitted a 6 cylinder volkswagon motor to his lola !
"is it in yet" said the mechanic to the apprentice
driftwood

Postby 911hillclimber » Mon Nov 30, 2009 6:15 pm

Easy: Hot Rods rule, but I've learnt the hard way that you are always right! :oops:

911hillclimber

Return to Lola Heritage Forum