strange lola

Moderators: Gerald Swan, Glyn Jones, Johan

Postby Seamus » Tue Dec 12, 2006 6:26 pm

Hi Gerald,

There is only a single entry on the chassis register for the T480 #HU4 and it's listed as an FF2000. As this model is now confirmed as a spaceframe this stacks up, could it have had a dual usage?

In T440 FF1600 form it has the pointed nose and side radiators to match the description of the mystery Lola.

Does the owner on the register Reynold Watt have a photo to post?

Seamus
Seamus

Postby Gerald Swan » Wed Dec 13, 2006 12:26 pm

Seamus, I'll contact Reynold and see what light he can throw on this. The Lola chassis log (if correct) shows the car left the factory fitted with a BDJ but it might have been converted to FF2000 at a later date.

Gerald.
Your local friendly Webmaster
Gerald Swan

Postby Gerald Swan » Sat Dec 16, 2006 6:58 pm

I've now spoken to Reynold and although he's sold the car on he confirms it was a Formula C car with a 1100 BDJ. I'm not sure where the FF2000 confusion came from.

Gerald.
Your local friendly Webmaster
Gerald Swan

Postby driftwood » Fri Dec 29, 2006 1:35 pm

a single seater 4 cylinder T380!!
surprised they accepted yr cars entry and did not put you into the sports car race!
"is it in yet" said the mechanic to the apprentice
driftwood

Re: strange lola

Postby Rick Iverson » Fri Jun 13, 2014 1:17 pm

Gents;

Here are photos of my Lola T-342 FSF, HU 201: http://www.centuryparkvillas.com/lola.htm

I am regularly in contact with the original owner in Mr. Bob Scheib. Bob purchased this car new from Pierre Phillips of Phillips Motorsports, the west coast Lola distributor, circa 1975. The "Super Ford" class was just getting started in Europe, and Pierre imported one of only two chassis known to have been constructed by Lola, and to my knowledge, this is the only one on the planet. The intent was to 'test the waters' for this new class in the States, as SCCA only accommodated FA (F5000) FB, FF, FSV and FV open wheel classes (when life was good).

The car was uncrated as a "roller" and was delivered factory equipped with a Hewland MK9 five-speed, 8"/10" x 13" Gotti three piece wheels, cantilevered wall tires, T-360 front mounted radiator and a T-360 "sport car" nose. Bob was given the FB 'smaller' take-offs (two heat cycles) from Pierre's T-360 FB car, so the car both looked and ran wickedly fast. Bob told me he could hang with the FB cars on the straights, but in the corners, he smoked them because of the 5-speed gearing selections.

The chassis was essentially a 342 FF with much thicker gauge upper chassis rails, additional frame gussets and tube bracing as well as the engine bay lengthened to accommodate the 2.0L Pinto engine (2"+/-). The center body section was the typical T-340/342, but the engine cowl and mono-post rear wing were from the T-320 series Lola FSV.

Since there were no rules, they ran in ‘Formula Libre’, with an engine that put out 185HP with dual Weber 45DCOE carburetors, at 8,000RPM.

I have tried to track down the other owners to get some history on this car (read: the log book), but no luck yet. Bob has posted his involvement on the Lola Registry under 201: http://www.thelolaregistry.com/Regisrty_pages/lola_t340.htm.

V/r

Iverson
Rick Iverson

Re: strange lola

Postby Allen Brown » Thu Feb 24, 2022 3:12 pm

Gerald, you mentioned that the Lola records may not be the most reliable record in the world. I find that one of the most remarkably reliable records is my dear friend 'Mallory Dan', who mentioned earlier in this thread seeing a T344 at Mallory. Well I have in my hand the entry list for the Alan Eccles Trophy Formule Libre race at Silverstone in July 1976 and there on the entry list is Mike Ford with a Lola T344 Holbay. He was entered by TDC-Truck Development Co Ltd. The results show that he finished 14th. So there was something, even if we still don't yet know exactly what it was.
Allen Brown

Previous

Return to Lola Heritage Forum