QUIZ Mark2

Moderators: Gerald Swan, Glyn Jones, Johan

QUIZ Mark2

Postby Gerald Swan » Mon May 22, 2006 2:33 pm

After baffling you for a short while with the Lola-Tecno try this one on for size.

What is it? Given the sign on the wall and the nose badge I obviously want more than "It's a Lola".

A bit of detective work on the "Types" section in the main site might tell you the type number but that's not enough, I want some detail on what is possibly the oddest Lola :D.

Over to you.

Gerald.
Your local friendly Webmaster
Gerald Swan

Postby Gerald Swan » Thu Jun 01, 2006 3:37 pm

Well I have to say I'm very disappointed with you guys, not even a single guess, I mean how difficult can it be :wink:.

OK, here's a bit more information, a picture of the engine.

So now it should be no trouble at all........ should it?

Gerald.
Gerald Swan

Postby Robin » Thu Jun 01, 2006 8:58 pm

Well, could it be the T-506 or is it the updated T-506B? Did Lola actually construct these or did they sublet the work to Royale? :lol:
Robin Oldfield
T-640/HU8
Town & Country, MO
USA
"In theory, theory and practice are the same.
In practice, they're not." Yogi Berra
Robin

Postby Gerald Swan » Thu Jun 01, 2006 9:48 pm

I obviously made it too easy :roll:.

Yes Robin it is the T506, for those who haven't heard of it before (and that included me until a couple of months ago) it was a car designed for Mini Grand Prix racing in the mid-seventies. It was a sort of go-karting franchise whereby you (if I understand all the legal stuff) bought the rights to build a track and buy the cars, timing equipment etc. and use the name. I've a Road & Track article saying there were 8 tracks in existance at the time of writing.

Engines were a 295cc Sachs 2-rotor Wankel producing 26bhp @6000rpm for the T506 and a 436.6cc Rotax Type 440 twin-cylinder two-stroke for the T506B.

I'll have to check about the actual construction, there's no mention of Royale in the Lola Archive but allowing for the hit and miss aspect of the Archive that's not a surprise.

I do have complete workshop manuals for both the T506 and T506B if anyone's interested :D.

When I finally finish working my through the Archive (I'm up to the T600 if anyone is interested!) I will do a bit more of a feature on both cars.

Gerald
Gerald Swan

Postby Robin » Fri Jun 02, 2006 1:57 pm

My side-glance reference to Royale was because I thought I had read, admittedly some while ago and I can't recall where, that Lola sublet chassis (frame) construction of many of its Formula Fords to Royale. And I have wondered if this occurred when, or because, Bob Marston left to work for Royale.
Robin Oldfield
T-640/HU8
Town & Country, MO
USA
"In theory, theory and practice are the same.
In practice, they're not." Yogi Berra
Robin

Postby driftwood » Sun Jun 04, 2006 12:44 pm

do any exist today?
when will Martin B open the Lola museum!!
ok im joking I couldnt see Martin wanting a load of race cars at the factory so its off to the races for us to see Lola cars
"is it in yet" said the mechanic to the apprentice
driftwood

Return to Lola Heritage Forum