What tire is this?

Moderators: Gerald Swan, Glyn Jones, Johan

What tire is this?

Postby Larry Engelbrecht » Sun May 07, 2006 6:41 pm

Does anyone know mfr, model, and size of this tire? Thanks.
Larry Engelbrecht

Postby Gerald Swan » Sun May 07, 2006 8:46 pm

Hello Larry, looking at some other pictures taken on the day they are Dunlops, size: 5.30/16.00-15, can't see a compound marked on them.

Gerald.
Your local friendly Webmaster
Gerald Swan

Postby Larry Engelbrecht » Sun May 07, 2006 10:06 pm

Thanks Gerald.

5.30/16.00-15:

Okay, 15" diameter rim, 16" wide tread...what's the 5.30, sidewall height? If that's the case, that would make the tire 25.6" tall, right?

The tread looks almost identical to a Mickey Thompson tire available in the states (29/18.50-15).

I'm trying to find the widest possible street legal tire for my project car that's suitable for aggressive driving yet surviveable for the street.

All tires manufactured and/or sold in the US must have a DOT mark and code, however, California law only states that a tire that says "For Off Highway Use Only" can't be used on the street. It doesn't require the car owner to have the DOT mark on it.

A GT40 owner I met some years ago told me he gets Blue Streaks through a Canadian source that imports them from Europe (England perhaps?) by the container. They have neither markings, making them technically "not illegal".
Larry Engelbrecht

Postby Johan » Mon May 08, 2006 4:32 am

Larry, in a nutshell you are not right (no offense).
You can get Blue Streaks and all types of racing tire right here in the US.
The tires you are looking at in the picture were probably slicks with a vintage groove cut into them along the lines of the classic vintage tread. I had a set of tires made like this last week and they cost 1200 bucks.
Try Sasco Sports or Bob Woodman tires or "the tire rack".
Johan

Return to Lola Heritage Forum