A New Section and A Slight Redesign

Moderators: Gerald Swan, Glyn Jones, Johan

A New Section and A Slight Redesign

Postby Gerald Swan » Mon Apr 17, 2006 3:09 pm

Hello everybody, I hope those of you that have visited the main site from today (Monday) will have noticed a slight redesign to the Home page, you can now access sections such as the Chassis Register, Types and Drivers directly. In addition there is now room to have four News items on the page.

We've also added a new section called "The Scrapbook", the idea is to have an area where your contributions can be seen. We've been receiving various very interesting letters etc. from you that we want to feature but they didn't readily fit into any of the current headings.

You can see the first few pieces that give a feel of what will be featured here in the coming months, that is of course if you send us things :D. So please let me have your contributions, anything you like, news items, pictures, personal reminiscences, however big or small we can use them.

Also available in the Scrapbook are a very nice set of wallpapers for your PC (or Mac) featuring the Continuation Series T70 available in 1024X768 and 800X600 resolutions. Hopefully this will be the first in a number of different wallpapers featuring classic Lolas and for you Lola owners, if you have any nice pictures of your own car that you would like turned into a Heritage wallpaper for others to share then send them to me.

Gerald.
Your local friendly Webmaster
Gerald Swan

From Eddie Hill, Wichita Falls, Texas

Postby Eddie Hill » Mon May 22, 2006 11:06 pm

I am going to try to send you a picture of my T-70 Coupe SL73/117.

If this works, I'll try more. :wink:

Thanks!

Eddie Hill :)
www.eddiehillsfuncycles.com
Last edited by Eddie Hill on Sat Jul 15, 2006 5:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
Proud owner of Mark III GT Coupe SL73/117, now used as a street car.
Eddie Hill

Texan Eddie Hill's T-70 Coupe

Postby Eddie Hill » Tue May 23, 2006 6:28 pm

More pictures. :)

440 cubic inch ALL ALUMINUM engine now being installed. It has electronic fuel injection and dry sump, dyno'ed at 672 HP @6900; 603 foot pounds torque @ 5000 . should be fun! :D

Original owner was James Garner, actor. (Maverick, Rockford Files, etc.)
Later driven by Robert Duvall in THX 1138, sci-fi movie.
See pages 96 and 147 of John Starkey's Lola T-70 book.
And I've owned it for over 20 years now. :D

Thanks for looking!
Eddie Hill :D
www.eddiehillsfuncycles.com
Last edited by Eddie Hill on Sat Jul 15, 2006 1:58 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Eddie Hill

Postby grp2viva » Tue May 23, 2006 7:58 pm

Hi Eddie. Right then hero worship out of the way first. YOU THA MAN. A real living legend on the forum. Now then. Great pics, and is the ali 440 going in the Charger behind it? THX1138. Your car is so ugly, I bet you have to creep up on the pump just to put air in the tyres........Mr Lucas' vision that became Star Wars..Thats quite enough from me then.
Darren Ramsay. I'm off to Pau now for the Grand Prix Legends Race. Some of us have to work for a living... :lol:
grp2viva

Postby Eddie Hill » Wed May 24, 2006 4:23 am

grp2viva wrote:Hi Eddie. Right then hero worship out of the way first. YOU THA MAN. A real living legend on the forum. Now then. Great pics, and is the ali 440 going in the Charger behind it? THX1138. Your car is so ugly, I bet you have to creep up on the pump just to put air in the tyres........Mr Lucas' vision that became Star Wars..Thats quite enough from me then.
Darren Ramsay. I'm off to Pau now for the Grand Prix Legends Race. Some of us have to work for a living... :lol:

Hi, Darren.
Thank you. :oops:
Thank you. :oops:
The 440 is for the Lola!!!!!!!, silly! :roll:
I would have SWORN no one was watching while I was sneaking up on the pump! Where in the *%#@+ WERE you, anyway? :shock:
Work for a living? Watch your mouth, this is a public forum!
But, seriously, folks, thanks for the reply, and enjoy the race!
Eddie Hill (FourFather) :D
Eddie Hill

Postby Johan » Wed May 24, 2006 2:19 pm

Eddie, fantastic car ! Are you coming up to the BRIC ?
Johan

Postby grp2viva » Wed May 24, 2006 6:52 pm

Well, when I say WORK ( with tongue firmly planted in cheek) what I mean is re-build and overhaul T70's all day and then look after them at the races on the weekends :D Should have realised it wasn't a proper 440. No dizzy poking out of the front :wink: L8R Doods. Darren
grp2viva

Postby Eddie Hill » Sun May 28, 2006 12:34 am

Johan wrote:Eddie, fantastic car ! Are you coming up to the BRIC ?

Thank you! :)

I don't think so.

What's the BRIC? :?

Seriously.

Eddie :)
Eddie Hill

Postby Eddie Hill » Sun May 28, 2006 12:42 am

grp2viva wrote:Well, when I say WORK ( with tongue firmly planted in cheek) what I mean is re-build and overhaul T70's all day and then look after them at the races on the weekends :D Should have realised it wasn't a proper 440. No dizzy poking out of the front :wink: L8R Doods. Darren

I understand now what you mean by "work".

It's the same thing I call 'play". :D

And 440's DON'T COME ANY MORE PROPER THAN MINE!, thank you very much! :lol: :lol:

Eddie :D
Eddie Hill

More pictures of Eddie Hill's Lola Coupe

Postby Eddie Hill » Sun Jun 11, 2006 1:42 am

:D This shot is close to true color ( or should I say colour?) It's so dark blue, most folks think it's black!

Wedding day- Valentine's Day 1984

Thanks for looking!

Last edited by Eddie Hill on Sat Jul 15, 2006 2:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Eddie Hill

Postby David Pozzi » Sat Jun 17, 2006 4:31 am

Eddie,
That tail section looks familliar. Scorpio fiberglas of Marin made them. I have a similar tail section from Scorpio who went out of business in the early 80's. Note the spoiler sides and louvers. I believe he was involved with the THX 1138 movie car creation. I think his name was Barry Goldstein?

It looks like your rear wheels are 12" wide but the tires are closer to 14" wide?

Outstanding car!
David
David Pozzi

Postby Eddie Hill » Sat Jun 17, 2006 1:37 pm

David Pozzi wrote:Eddie,
That tail section looks familliar. Scorpio fiberglas of Marin made them. I have a similar tail section from Scorpio who went out of business in the early 80's. Note the spoiler sides and louvers. I believe he was involved with the THX 1138 movie car creation. I think his name was Barry Goldstein?

It looks like your rear wheels are 12" wide but the tires are closer to 14" wide?

Outstanding car!
David

Hi, David.
Thanks for that information. And yes, this was the car that Robert Duvall drove in THX 1138., with the futuristic bodywork on it, according to Jon Ward, who said he drove the car in the wild burnout scene. He said that George (Lucas) wanted a wild launch that graphically illustrated how an inexperienced driver in a panic rush to escape with his life, in a powerful car, might overcook it . George wanted more,more. So this take, he put water under the tires, put it in THIRD gear, and hammered it so hard, it came all the way around 360 degrees, and more. Jon said he thought "OH s--t, I screwed that one up", but George loved it, and they used it.

I took a picture of the paused image on the TV screen of the Lola just coming out of the burnout cloud.

My Lola ownership "paper trail" includes American Zoetrope, 827 Folsom street, San Francisco, which produced the movie. I think Francis Ford Coppola owned Zoetrope.

How I wish I had had enough foresight 32 years ago, to have obtained a set of the movie body panels!! I didn't even ask! :oops:

Those side louvers in the tail section over the engine were from a Corvette, side gills, he told me.

You are precisely right on the wheels. That pair of tires did NOT fit the wheels, and did not stay on there very long. They did, however, put down a very nice launch footprint, if the air pressure was dropped low enough.
DON'T try to go around a corner like that, though!!

Thanks for the information, and the compliment! :)

Last edited by Eddie Hill on Sat Jul 15, 2006 2:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Eddie Hill

Postby David Pozzi » Sun Jun 18, 2006 7:09 am

Long ago I bought some koni shocks for my Lola T-70 from Jon Ward, he was near Saugus Ca. He had some amazing stuff in his shop, and when I went in his house, he had a HUGE Formula 5000 trophy there.

I have a coupe body similar to yours but no louvers in the tail and no flares, but a similar spoiler treatment. Some day I'll build myself a street car...
David
Lola T-70 Mk1 SL-70-09
David Pozzi

Postby Eddie Hill » Sun Jun 18, 2006 2:27 pm

David Pozzi wrote:Long ago I bought some koni shocks for my Lola T-70 from Jon Ward, he was near Saugus Ca. He had some amazing stuff in his shop, and when I went in his house, he had a HUGE Formula 5000 trophy there.

I have a coupe body similar to yours but no louvers in the tail and no flares, but a similar spoiler treatment. Some day I'll build myself a street car...
David

Right. I went to his house, on the side of a hill, out in the country. He showed me his shower, and it literally opened up to the great outdoors! With a glass door to the outside. And nothing to see, but countryside. No houses, roads, poles, nothing that wasn't there before people! Still inspirational 32 years later, and I'm about to build something similar. His shop has been my inspiration ever since. I'm finally building mine, have plans on my desk as we speak.

I traded him my twin-engined dragster. He was living in Texas, last I heard, but don't know where he is now.

Eddie Hill

Postby David Pozzi » Sun Jun 18, 2006 7:33 pm

Eddie,
While I've got your attention. :)
As a street driven coupe owner, what would you change or upgrade in your car to make it more streetable or comfortable? Any tips?

There are three tips I can offer any T-70 owner.
Gearbox to bellhousing bolts, they tend to come loose, but if the bellhousing threads are helicoiled they stay tight with no problems.

Tub cracks.
Keep an eye on the junction of the rear fuel tank to rear bulkhead, the area just below your oil coolers on the outboard side. Check for cracks on the vertical joint.

Throttle pedal breakage.
For those who shift heel/toe a lot, the throttle pedal hangs on a stud with no support on the outboard side. A lot of heel/toe shifting where the pedal get's hit on it's side with the lower arch of the foot tends to put a lot of side pressure on this stud and it can bend or eventually break off, mine did at Laguna Seca. If it breaks off, that's one thing but before mine broke completely, the stud bent and allowed the pedal to scrape on the side of the tub sticking the throttle wide open, THEN it broke copletely which was actually a relief!

I drilled out where the stud was and converted it to a bolt, then I added a support bracket to the bolt to make it a double shear mounting.
The image below shows a slightly bent throttle pivot bolt.
http://www.pozziracing.com/Media/t70_th ... l_bolt.jpg
Lola T-70 Mk1 SL-70-09
David Pozzi

Next

Return to Lola Heritage Forum