Hub retaining pin for center nut wheels - Help

Moderators: Gerald Swan, Glyn Jones, Johan

Hub retaining pin for center nut wheels - Help

Postby zapparacing » Mon Feb 27, 2006 2:35 am

We run a Lola T212 and came into some trouble. The center wheel nut will not go on far enough for me to drill the hub in order for a normal locking wheel hub retaining spring to be put in. I should state that we dont have the 3-ear knock off's (I wish we did!-hint hint)The end of the nut is almost flush with the end of the hub and we torque the nuts to approx. 350ft lbs. The gentleman I purchesed the car from said he never had any trouble. In "theory" the nuts should not come off with that amount of torque. However on our Chevron, it happened twice and the only thing that saved me was the lock pin. I was thinking about drilling the nut and the hub together once it was torqued on but I'm now having second thoughts on that. Also thinking of drilling it and wiring it to the wheel If anyone has any comments/suggestions/opinions on this matter please let me know. Also if anyone knows where I can get similar pins to these,
http://img464.imageshack.us/full.php?im ... ing8co.gif

Thanks all.
zapparacing

Postby Johan » Mon Feb 27, 2006 1:25 pm

We have a car like this that has extra "thick" nuts that extend past the threaded hub 1/16", instead of the preferable situation of the hub extending past the nut. We drill a hole in the nut and wire it to the wheel
by running the wire from one spoke of the wheel to the opposite spoke which passes over (and though ) the nut.
I have several boken eared spinners as well and wish they were available
(the T70 #b style). We use them as tie downs when the car is on storage wheels.
Johan

Postby zapparacing » Mon Feb 27, 2006 9:13 pm

Johan
Thats exactally what we are going to do!!! See you at the races
zapparacing

Return to Lola Heritage Forum