T70 road car

Moderators: Gerald Swan, Glyn Jones, Johan

Postby Johan » Fri Jul 07, 2006 12:34 am

Thanks Jim ! I have not seen that yet.
There was a yellow one and there was one for Dan Haggarty (the Grizzly Adams guy) but it might have been one and the same car. Then there was my car which might have been the first car. My car was done on T70 Chassis no. SL71/34 which the Bartz brothers had purchased from Bobby Thompson of Houma, Louisiana in 1979. Bobby Thompson had a large collection of Lolas .

This is the yellow carImage
Johan

Postby Eddie Hill » Sat Jul 15, 2006 5:03 am

Can't believe it!! I saved that same issue!! Can you read my name on the mailing label? What are the odds!

I recently bought the 2004 re-release of the Sci-Fi movie THX 1138, and I tried taking pictures of the paused image on the TV screen-

Really BAD quality, but still kinda interesting, I guess, if you haven't seen it before-

I bought/traded for the Lola from JonWard, who rigged the futuristic/turbine powered/police mods on the/my Lola, and he drove it in the movie, except for the close-ups of Robert Duvall(who played 1138).

Eddie :D
Proud owner of Mark III GT Coupe SL73/117, now used as a street car.
Eddie Hill

Postby Eddie Hill » Thu May 10, 2007 3:43 am

:D A picture of SL73/117, taken today, in Wichita Falls, Texas. :)

:D

Eddie Hill

Postby Johan » Thu May 10, 2007 4:52 am

Eddie, what a kick ass car !
I would like you to consider bringing it to Road America just to drive around at your pleasure, one of these big july events(2007 or 2008 or both). We will be celebnrating Lolas 50th year next year and you are needed ! I can tell you have been working on that car. What to do with the bodywork is always a problem for me. The cars get so "big" when they are taken apart.
Johan

Postby Eddie Hill » Fri May 11, 2007 3:45 am

Thanks, Johan! :)

A drive around the course would be a HOOT!! :lol:

I took more pix today--

:D

LOVE! the looks of these cars!!

Eddie Hill

Postby Johan » Fri May 11, 2007 3:57 am

Words can't describe...
I watch Lolas like other people watch TV.
You might consider some sort of vents for the side windows. Does it get hot in there ?
Johan

Postby Eddie Hill » Fri May 11, 2007 4:08 am

Hot? You have no idea! :lol: In the summertime, that is. It's a LOT more fun to toodle around in the spring, fall, or winter!
Or summer nights :)

I have the hinges and latches for vented windows, and (one side only) buck for the windows, but not all that much in love with the way they look-- :roll:

I have a tendency toward procrastination- I'll tell you about it sometime----

Eddie Hill

Postby Johan » Fri May 11, 2007 4:15 am

I start sweating in mine when I start to think about how much fun I am having. I feel sort of, you kmow, dirty !
Johan

Re: T70 road car(s)

Postby David Pozzi » Fri May 11, 2007 7:10 am

Eddie Hill wrote:With a 365 cubic inch all-iron Chevrolet in my Lola T-70 Coupe, my 0 to 60 mph averaged about 3.2 seconds, with a best of 3.0.

0 to 100 average about 7.5 seconds, worst was 7.9, best was 6.9 seconds.

0 to 120 around 9.9 to 10.9

0 to 150, only one two-way run, 17.2 seconds into the wind, 15.7 with the wind.

Dyno sheet on the iron engine is 512 HP at 6700, 478 foot pounds @4500.

I am about 90% done with the installation of an all-aluminum 440 cubic inch Small-block Chev that dynoed at 672 HP@ 6900; 603 foot pounds @ 5000,; so with 160 more HP and about 90 pounds less weight, should be a nice improvement in the above figures! :)

Eddie,
A few tips on your gearbox since you will be putting extra power through it soon. The LG 500/600 differential section of the case can be strengthened by installing bracing tubes between the left and right sides internally. The Shadow Can Am team did this long ago, Lee Miur showed me what they did.

There is a lot of side pressure on the left side cover and studs from ring gear thrust. I've found damaged stud threads in the left side cover area, especially at the 4 and 5 O'clock position, where the case is bored inside for the reverse idler spud. The backside of the flange is thin there plus the whole lower part of the flange/sump area, is unsupported.

The improved "MkII" version of this gearbox used thicker side covers and 3 cast-in tubular structures inside for the lower three side cover bolts. Hewland increased them from two on top, to six 3/8" through-rods, 3 on top, 3 on the bottom that tie the left and right sides of the differential case section together.

It is possible to change side covers to the thicker MkII type, add 3 lower internal tubes, and add 3 through rods to tie it all together. OR just add the 3 lower rods and use your current side covers. On mine I made 3 steel spool shaped pieces placed internally, then threaded grade 8 5/16" studs into them. I didn't want to weaken the side covers by drilling them out to 3/8". In the photo you can see where I had to weld the area in the LH side 4 to 5 O'clock position, I had a crack there. I also added a nut and flat washer behind the 5 O'clock stud and used a longer stud there.

Sorry the image is fuzzy, it's a scan of a poor photo.
David
Lola T-70 Mk1 SL-70-09
David Pozzi

Postby anders » Fri May 11, 2007 9:43 am

Thaks, Dave and Eddie for posting these pictures, data and Hewland tips. I find this kind of information very valuable indeed!

Regards

/Anders
anders

Postby Eddie Hill » Fri May 11, 2007 2:23 pm

David-

Hey, Thanks a bunch for taking the time to forward that very valuable info!! :)

Sometimes helpful modifications like that can be a bit hard to engineer the first time ! Very good info from someone who's already been there! :)

Do NOT! want to break this!

By the way- what do the continuation cars use in place of these? :?:

I owe you! :D

Eddie :D www.eddiehillsfuncycles.com
Eddie Hill

Postby Johan » Fri May 11, 2007 4:02 pm

Eddie, they use the same box. Hewland still makes them special for Lola.
Is yours a LG 500 or 600 ? I can not quite read the serial number.
David, I appreciate your info as well.

Not to change the subject, but I just noticed that this picture from page one of the thread shows a strange headlight treatment.
Johan

Postby David Pozzi » Fri May 11, 2007 4:56 pm

Glad you are interested in this subject. Sorry for throwing in off topic items, but Eddies mention of 0 to whatever speeds and impending larger engine brought this to mind. :)

Also on the ring and pinion bolts, - I threw away the french locks with tabs and used aircraft washers under the heads with red locktite. Be very careful that the bolts used are not bottoming out in the ring gear! They will torque down but not be clamping correctly if that happens. You can find Ford and GM flywheel bolts that work well as replacements. Check that the washers used do not contact the bolt to head radius which is larger on a grade 8 bolt, aircraft or grade 8 washers work, the grade 8 washers are beveled on one side only, use that side against the bolt head.

I bring this up because I have seen ring gear bolts work loose and they grind into the left side cover like a milling machine! This is not a common problem, by the way.

David
Last edited by David Pozzi on Sat May 12, 2007 4:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
Lola T-70 Mk1 SL-70-09
David Pozzi

Postby Eddie Hill » Fri May 11, 2007 7:28 pm

Mine's the LG 600. :)

Any idea what a new one would cost, here in the colonies, in dollars? Or are they even available to individuals?

I don't need one, thankfully, but how nice one would be in some one-off "special"!!

Eddie :D www.eddiehillsfuncycles.com
Eddie Hill

Postby Johan » Mon May 14, 2007 3:26 am

I think a new one is around 38,000 USD.
Johan

PreviousNext

Return to Lola Heritage Forum