When is a rebuild wrong ?

Moderators: Gerald Swan, Glyn Jones, Johan

When is a rebuild wrong ?

Postby beighes » Mon Feb 13, 2006 11:35 pm

Greetings................I've a question to ask anyone that's willing to listen, well actually read. At one time, I considered purchasing the remains of a "known" T332. The suspension, roll hoop, fuel bladders, the tub was a set of new skins (original tub was seriously damaged....I think?) ready for assembly, the chassis ID tag, and all sales documents from new (from Haas). Now the question. Had the car been reconstructed would it be considered "kosher" because it had the ID tag, documents, etc., etc., or would it have been considered merely a clone? If my memory is correct, the original tub, less ID tag & doc's, was sold to a west coast Center Seat Can-Am driver. He had the tub rebuilt & replaced his heavily crash damaged tub. I am just curious what what owners & the works have to say. Cheers!!
beighes

Postby Johan » Wed Feb 15, 2006 1:42 am

Big question...
It depends not only on what you do, but why you do it and how you do it.

A perfect Lola is a car that was produced by Lola and is still race-worthy.
Elle Macpherson is like a perfect Lola.

Just because a car is not a perfect Lola does not make it a bad car or an unworthy car, just like having sex with a non-supermodel can have it's own rewards if done properly for the right reasons while utilizing the proper equipment (like a paper bag).

It would be dangerous to do a bad job of it, expensive to do it right, and
it would be wrong to do it for the wrong reasons.

The car you describe would be a "re-chassied Lola". I would welcome it on the grid in a vintage event if it could pass the technical inspection, but
I have to say that if it were a T70 that you would come out cheaper(and have more to show for it) to buy a complete T70 MK 3B from Lola than to build one from scratch using used pieces, and if it were a T332 I hope you put it together well and spend a lot of time sorting it out.

In other words, you could have done it, and found "love", but how would you feel the next morning ? Was it worth it ? Very possibly, but only you can answer that.

Just my opinion...
Johan

Postby beighes » Wed Feb 15, 2006 2:40 am

Greetings,

Opinions are what I was asking for. Thanks, & I hope to get a few more.
CHEERS!
beighes

Postby DJSILLS » Sun Feb 26, 2006 5:41 pm

You should have grabbed that project, although it sounds like the opportunity occurred some time ago. Have you noticed that the availability of F5000 cars for sale has disappeared? Collectors are out digging for any scraps that could be turned into a racecar. What is important to me is to use as many original parts as possible and have the rest at least looking original - which gets real expensive with an incomplete car.
DJSILLS

Postby beighes » Mon Feb 27, 2006 11:55 pm

DJSILLS...........Rebuilding a car from original bits is a long running joke among a group of us. I have, hanging in my garage, a roll hoop from an Ex-Peter Revson Lola (and the history from the Works to my garage!). Our comments have been to just re-tub the roll hoop and go racing! Imagine the reactions to that !............Cheers!!
beighes

Return to Lola Heritage Forum