The T70 continuation series - a great idea?

Moderators: Gerald Swan, Glyn Jones, Johan

Re: Confused!!

Postby Napolis » Sun Jan 08, 2006 10:24 pm

Fran wrote:If a car is built by a prolific manufacturer such as Lola , that has been continuosly building race cars since the T70Mk3b was first conceived then why is it a replica and not a continuation of said same car???

Now if a guy like myself respectfully manufactures a car in the likeness of a vehicle that is almost 40 years old with modern manufacturing processes and techniques...then that would be a replica paying homage to the real unmolested and unmodified originals..dont you think???

Fran

I think what you're doing is way cool but you're not really building a replica. You're building something with a likeness to an original but you're not replicating an original. Your cars/chassis/ stand on their own design wise. These are replica's replicating original cars. Lola today is quite different than Lola under Eric. If the FIA insists on absolute replication to be fair to originals in races these will fit the bill but the T-70 ended many years ago and once something ends it is over.

People can and will call these cars whatever they wish but IMO they are replicas.

Best
Napolis

Postby Johan » Mon Jan 09, 2006 12:01 am

Fran, I agree. I think you help to build up interest in the Marque as a whole, and we are talking about two different markets.
Johan

Postby Joe T » Sat Jan 21, 2006 11:54 pm

I have a couple questions, are the 3B's Lola are building using all the original tooling and techniques to assemble them.
Do they have to adhere to modern safety regs and manufacturing conditions.

When they race will the MSA treat them as a modern or historic, sorry to appear dim but would like to know some basics. :roll:

Cheers

Joe T
Joe T

Postby Napolis » Sun Jan 22, 2006 8:53 pm

Joe T wrote:I have a couple questions, are the 3B's Lola are building using all the original tooling and techniques to assemble them.
Do they have to adhere to modern safety regs and manufacturing conditions.

When they race will the MSA treat them as a modern or historic, sorry to appear dim but would like to know some basics. :roll:

Cheers

Joe T

As I understand it. These will be very similar in construction and performance to the original cars. They will be eligible for FIA papers that state that while not original (Historic built in the 60ies) they conform to the specs/construction of the original cars.

Where they are welcome to race will be up to those who organize various races. IMO the list of races that welcome them will grow over time.

Lee Holman's GT 40 MKII's and Racing Falcon's fit this new FIA Regulation.
I'm not sure whether the FIA requires the original mfg. to produce these continuation cars or whether other dead accurate replica maker's cars would be approvable as well under this regulation.

Best
Napolis

Postby MARCOS SACOMAN » Tue Jan 24, 2006 7:40 pm

Hi there !

I believe a true "continuation" will be an expensive and slow car !
With a new powerful engine, it'll becomes a dangerous "electric chair".
The problems are not the original tooling and techniques to assemble them: T76 has bad brakes, heavy corners and a too flexible chassis.(famous 3 wheeler...)
A lot of "safety improvents" must be made ! At least, a real new car !
MkIII-B are not race winners, but the most beautiful race car ever made !
I'm sure a brand new street version is a better option !
Last edited by MARCOS SACOMAN on Tue Jan 31, 2006 10:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
T140/16 (rebodied as T222), T142/1 (original, ex works), T76/155 (the REAL one...)
MARCOS SACOMAN

Postby Napolis » Wed Jan 25, 2006 12:05 am

MARCOS SACOMAN wrote:Hi there !

I believe a true "continuation" will be an expensive and slow car !
With a new powerful engine, it'll becomes a dangerous "electric chair".
The problems are not the original tooling and techniques to assemble them: T56 has bad brakes, heavy corners and a too flexible chassis.(famous 3 wheeler...)
A lot of "safety improvents" must be made ! At least, a real new car !
MkIII-B are not race winners, but the most beautiful race car ever made !
I'm sure a brand new street version is a better option !

I agree totally.That's why I use mine on the street.

Napolis

Postby Johan » Wed Jan 25, 2006 1:21 am

Actually, it is a fact that they are race winners, both in their day and in vintage racing.
There are all kinds of T70 "style" cars today(perfectly suited for the street) but so far only a "handful " of continuation cars, which while not original, are "genuine". Original cars in original condition are rare as well.In my opinion, all T70's are replicas except SL70/1, so let's get out there and enjoy whatever we have however we want ....
What do you mean electric chair ?
What is a T56 ?
Are you saying that a car cornering with a wheel in the air means a weak chassis ?
Define expensive.
Define slow.
I as well would like to see Lola come out with a street car along the likes of what has been done by Ford with the 2006 GT, but that is another story.
Johan

Postby MARCOS SACOMAN » Wed Jan 25, 2006 2:25 am

Wow ! What a lot of questions !
But that's OK ! At least, this's a forum, isn't ?
FIRST: All these "continuation" cars available today are real FAKE CARS !
Or as we say, "Air Cars", made by unscrupulous people.
There is a "continuation car" with the same #number of mine !
SECOND: I like the "style" cars !!!! (best ex: SBARRO).
These cars helps to preserve the MkIIIb image !!!!
(how many Cobra replicas we can see today ?)
THIRD: "electric chair" = a killer car !
FOURTH: T76 is the real Lola model for the T70 MkIIIb.
FIFTH: YES ! For sure, 4 wheels on the floor are better than 3 !
Most of them had crashed for this reason !
SIXTH: Expensive = anything that costs me more than $100...
SEVENTH: Slow = Any $200 K "continuation" car defeated by a Royale, Chevron or even a T210/T212.
Best regards,
Marcos
Last edited by MARCOS SACOMAN on Tue Jan 31, 2006 10:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
T140/16 (rebodied as T222), T142/1 (original, ex works), T76/155 (the REAL one...)
MARCOS SACOMAN

Postby Napolis » Wed Jan 25, 2006 3:06 am

MARCOS SACOMAN wrote:Wow ! What a lot of questions !
But that's OK ! At least, this's a forum, isn't ?
FIRST: All these "continuation" cars available today are real FAKE CARS !
Or as we say, "Air Cars", made by unscrupulous people.
There is a "continuation car" with the same #number of mine !
SECOND: I like the "style" cars !!!! (best ex: SBARRO).
These cars helps to preserve the MkIIIb image !!!!
(how many Cobra replicas we can see today ?)
THIRD: "electric chair" = a killer car !
FOURTH: T56 is the real Lola model for the T70 MkIIIb.
FIFTH: YES ! For sure, 4 wheels on the floor are better than 3 !
Most of them had crashed for this reason !
SIXTH: Expensive = anything that costs me more than $100...
SEVENTH: Slow = Any $200 K "continuation" car defeated by a Royale, Chevron or even a T210/T212.
Best regards,
Marcos

Well Said.

Best
Napolis

Postby Johan » Wed Jan 25, 2006 3:40 am

OK, so both of you gents feel that Lola is unscrupulous in building a continuation car, which is fine with me and in line with the spirit of the forum. I'm glad you are stating your opinions.
But your second point is that you are glad to see them, is that right ?
Your third point is one best remembered by all of us no matter what we drive.
Your fourth point is news to me and I thank you for telling me .
I do not understand how you arrived at your conclusion in your fifth point as far as a weak chassis making a (front?) wheel come off the ground.
The sixth point I agree with objectively but the cost of the continuation car is not expensive in the relative sense of buying and restoring an original car.
Your seventh point hits home. I hate getting beat up by the guys with Chevrons and Royales. I hate to tell you this, but to take it further, a good shifter cart, some legends cars , and those motorcycle engine powered sports racers can all run pretty good at some tracks( not all...), but they are not the same as Lolas. They do not look or sound or drive like Lolas.
Finally, I'm confused in that I think you are telling me that you have some type of continuation or modernized version of a T70, but you are not in favor of a continuation or modern day version ?
SO the question has to be asked :
Why did you buy/build it ?
Johan

Postby MARCOS SACOMAN » Wed Jan 25, 2006 4:41 am

No, Sir !
Please, go back there and read carefully what i said: Unscrupulous people who made 'FAKE CARS' or 'AIR-CARS', with profits purposes !
I'm sure If LOLA CARS decides to make a real "continuation" series, they'll make real, expensive and slow racing cars !
I must release all other points, because sounds me you are polemic about what you don't know. (sorry !)
But you must be sure I don't have any type of continuation or modernized version of a T70.
I own the REAL T76/155, the last REAL T70 made at Slough !
I have THE ORIGINAL INVOICE from A&J MOTORS, from CHADWELL HEATH, ESSEX - ENGLAND, signed by Mr. TERRY CROKER on 23 th november, 1970.
And I, myself, shipped this car at the HEATHROW AIRPORT, via VARIG, on 28/11/1970, to my country.
(still have all customs documents, too)
So, I believe I don't have anything else to say about this topic !
Thanks,
Marcos
Last edited by MARCOS SACOMAN on Tue Jan 31, 2006 10:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
MARCOS SACOMAN

Postby Johan » Wed Jan 25, 2006 5:14 am

I really did not mean to get you upset. It is just that your car is listed as having been "produced after regular production had ended". To me that means a continuation car,maybe a Sbarro ?, not that there is anything wrong with that. I'm the one defending replicas and continuation cars as well as originals, and you just seem to not like Lolas.
Besides, I was talking about your narrow tubbed T140 center seat Formula 5000 car that is rebuilt to a 2 seater widebody T222 can am tub, not that there is anything wrong with that either. There were several of those made possibly ? I thought you were calling that a T70. Is that what you are talking about ?
How you rebody a 1 seat T140 formula car into a 2 seat open sports car is food for thought, but it sounds as "electrifying" as anything I drive. These cars have all had intersting lives and I am appreciative of your sharing the stories.
Sincerely, I am sorry to have stirred you up like this. It makes absolutely no difference to me if your car has provenance or not. My cars are junky and if I saw yours I'm sure I would be envious. Please try to understand that Napolis and I banter like this because we enjoy it, and I even stick up for him when I can on other forums (Napolis,please, help me out here !).
Call me a Pokeman or whatever but please don't take me seriously.
Best regards,
JohanImage
Last edited by Johan on Wed Jan 25, 2006 4:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Johan

Postby MARCOS SACOMAN » Wed Jan 25, 2006 12:48 pm

Hahahahhh...
Don't worry !
I just said: I have nothing else to say about T70 "continuation"
ABOUT T76/155 - My car was the real last car to be produced at Slough facilities. The other one "listed" as a continuation is a fake made by unscrupulous people.
There is another big mistake on these "listings":
#153 car "listed" as "ex" Terry Croker, "ex" Carlos Avallone, is in fact the #155 - my car !!!!
Please, don't ask me where is the real #153, or who made these "listings".
A smart guy trusted on this, found the #155 as vacant, and "voilà" - built an "Air-Car" !!!!!
Did you get it ?????
Well ! Done ! I have nothing else to say about MY T76/155 !
(No ! I'm not upset...)
T140/16 - This was the original car ! The chassis had been enlarged at Slough, and rebodied as a T165.
And later, rebodied again as a T222. (the T165 bodywork is lost...)
I must be stupid, but I can't post here the picture...
You can see it at:
http://forums.autosport.com/showthread. ... ost2253669
Hope you enjoy !
Last edited by MARCOS SACOMAN on Tue Jan 31, 2006 10:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
MARCOS SACOMAN

Postby MARCOS SACOMAN » Wed Jan 25, 2006 12:55 pm

Just in time:
Wow ! Your dog is ugly... VERY UGLY !!!!!
Cheers,
Marcos
MARCOS SACOMAN

Postby Johan » Wed Jan 25, 2006 1:01 pm

Nice looking Lola (no surprise that !)
You post a picture by clicking the image button, inserting the address of the photo, then clicking the image button again. Then hit submit.
To get the address of the photo, I opened it in a new window.

Now you insult my dog ? I found him sleeping in the garbage container. I thought he was dead , but it was just a post-seizure nap. We had to re-body him with pieces of a turkey breast so he is a "continuation dog". He is one mean dog and hates McLarens.
Johan

PreviousNext

Return to Lola Heritage Forum