The T70 continuation series - a great idea?

Moderators: Gerald Swan, Glyn Jones, Johan

The T70 continuation series - a great idea?

Postby Gerald Swan » Fri Dec 16, 2005 12:40 pm

As you may know if you looked at the Heritage site headlines, Lola have announced a continuation series of the Mk3B for Historic racing.

There has already been some discussion on this theme on the Autosport Nostalgia Forum when it was announced that Chapparal were going to produce some continuation cars.

Now some people think it's good news that there is a chance for more of these cars to compete again all over the world whilst others feel it makes a mockery of what Historic Racing is all about.

I have thought about this long and hard as someone who loves historic racing but before I put in my contribution what do you all think? If you are on this forum you must have an affinity with Lola so have your say in the certain knowledge that it will be read by the people at Lola so don't hold back :).

Gerald.
Your local friendly Webmaster
Gerald Swan

Postby Johan » Fri Dec 16, 2005 1:14 pm

A continuation 3b is a welcome concept to most of us, I'm sure. The values of original Shelby Cobras have soared through the roof due in part to all of the replicas keeping the interest level high. There are always going to be the guys that arrive at the races in a Volvo and then stroll through the pits cutting everyone's car down as "improper", but to those that actually race the cars, more of them on the track would be a great thing. I would sure like to drive a "new" 3b.
Last edited by Johan on Mon Oct 09, 2006 3:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
Johan

Postby Mark Beasy » Thu Dec 29, 2005 2:06 am

I hope more people respond to this post.

I have been interested in building a replica T70 for quite some time now. Its only been in the past couple of years that I have been financial enough to get started on it. I am building it as true to the original form as I can possibly get.

With the factory starting a continuation build of the original MkIIIb, it will be interesting to see what the reaction is of the current owners of original cars.

I just hope a couple of the new cars make it to Australia.
Mark Beasy

Postby Napolis » Thu Jan 05, 2006 6:04 pm

I own an original SL 71-32 and I don't race so keep that in mind.

IMO The FIA's decision to allow period correct replicas will have several effects.

There will be two types of vintage races. Those with original cars and those with replicas. IMO owners of originals will not be interested in banging up against replicas.

Many watching these races will not know the difference.

Twenty years from now there will be very few originals still racing.

Parade Racing yes but racing no.
Napolis

Postby Johan » Fri Jan 06, 2006 4:19 am

Napolis, the originals really are not out there racing very much now. When they do, there are lots of little cars like Chevrons , and the 2xx series Lola Sports racers to make us look slow,especially on the shorter tracks. I welcome the continuation cars because when they pass me, at least I'll have something that looks good/sounds great to follow around.
If you have a Lola and don't race it, respecfully I must ask what did you expect the race organizers to fill the grid with ? Besides, I would rather bang into a replica than an original anyday. It's cheaper !
Johan

Postby Napolis » Sat Jan 07, 2006 2:40 am

Johan wrote:Napolis, the originals really are not out there racing very much now. When they do, there are lots of little cars like Chevrons , and the 2xx series Lola Sports racers to make us look slow,especially on the shorter tracks. I welcome the continuation cars because when they pass me, at least I'll have something that looks good/sounds great to follow around.
If you have a Lola and don't race it, respecfully I must ask what did you expect the race organizers to fill the grid with ? Besides, I would rather bang into a replica than an original anyday. It's cheaper !

I don't blame the race organizers at all. I agree that this was bound to happen. I just think it will accelerate the exodus of original cars from Vintage racing. If replicas are allowed why risk a piece of history? Why not drive your original on vintage rallies and race your replica?
Napolis

Postby Johan » Sat Jan 07, 2006 3:27 am

Honestly, we don't think we are going to wreck, not hard anyway. If we wreck too hard the car does not matter. A major reason that more old race cars are put away is that they are no longer in raceable condition. Their owners may not be in raceable condition either. List one currently raceworthy Ford MK IV.... but People swear they saw a red one at Elkhart with a big number 1 on it.
Johan

Postby Napolis » Sat Jan 07, 2006 8:47 pm

Johan wrote:Honestly, we don't think we are going to wreck, not hard anyway. If we wreck too hard the car does not matter. A major reason that more old race cars are put away is that they are no longer in raceable condition. Their owners may not be in raceable condition either. List one currently raceworthy Ford MK IV.... but People swear they saw a red one at Elkhart with a big number 1 on it.

J6 is totally race worthy. We're doing a 25K service but it will be back together in the spring when I'll begin putting on the next 25K miles.

As an aside J4 and J7 are race worthy as well. J3 (J Car) runs fine. J1 and J2 no longer exist so we have to exclude them. J5 of course is not and the last time I saw J8 I for one wouldn't take it out for hot laps.
Napolis

Postby Johan » Sat Jan 07, 2006 9:45 pm

Parade racing, but not real racing. J6 would have a hard time keeping up with a t70 Mk 3b, original or continuation. J4 is set up as a museum piece right now, although it is in excellent condition (which is not equal to race condition).
You are doing services at 25000 miles, and we are doing services at 25 hours. Big difference. Anyway, I race originals and think it is a great idea. You do not race and think it is a bad idea. Let's hear from some others.
Last edited by Johan on Sun Jan 08, 2006 6:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
Johan

Postby Napolis » Sat Jan 07, 2006 11:54 pm

Johan wrote:Parade racing, but not real racing. J6 would have a hard time keeping up with a t70 Mk 3b, real or continuation. J4 is set up as a museum piece right now, although it is in excellent condition (which is not equal to race condition).
You are doing services at 25000 miles, and we are doing services at 25 hours. Big difference. Anyway, I race originals and think it is a great idea. You do not race and think it is a bad idea. Let's hear from some others.

I am unaware of any Lola T70 that ever went 24 hours at Le Mans. J6 unlike many "Vintage" Lola's racing today is very much as she was in 1967. I'm quite sure she could go 24 at Le Mans any time she wanted to.

I don't think racing originals is a bad idea I simply have no interest in racing mine.

Napolis

Postby Johan » Sun Jan 08, 2006 12:29 am

A new Hyundai will go 24 hours at Lemans as well, but it won't win, or even be competitive. Racing and parading around are two different things. It is fine if you want your cars to be street-use oriented. Lots of people do not want to race their cars for fear of some mishap, resulting in damage to the car or driver.
I thought your car had non 1967 stuff like a tilt wheel and electric doors and a ZF transaxle .....all of which is fine with me. My point is that if you don't intend to take your spot on the grid, how can you complain if somebody else wants to play ?
Johan

Postby Napolis » Sun Jan 08, 2006 2:37 am

Johan wrote:A new Hyundai will go 24 hours at Lemans as well, but it won't win, or even be competitive. Racing and parading around are two different things. It is fine if you want your cars to be street-use oriented. Lots of people do not want to race their cars for fear of some mishap, resulting in damage to the car or driver.
I thought your car had non 1967 stuff like a tilt wheel and electric doors and a ZF transaxle .....all of which is fine with me. My point is that if you don't intend to take your spot on the grid, how can you complain if somebody else wants to play ?

My Lola does but my MK-IV/ P 3/4 / 412P/ 166 Spyder Corsa/ and Duesey are as they were in 67/47/and 31. Where have I ever complained about what some else wants to do? Why would I care? My only point remains that IMO allowing replicas to race will cause owners of originals to be less interested in racing their originals in Vintage Racing.

We're re plowing the same earth. Enjoy.
Napolis

Postby Johan » Sun Jan 08, 2006 6:02 am

I'm stuck in a motorhome with no coffee and this dog, and you smack talked Lolas, and now you want to make up.......

Can my dog ride in your car ?

Image[/img]
Johan

Postby Napolis » Sun Jan 08, 2006 3:40 pm

Nice dog.

Napolis

Confused!!

Postby Fran » Sun Jan 08, 2006 9:15 pm

If a car is built by a prolific manufacturer such as Lola , that has been continuosly building race cars since the T70Mk3b was first conceived then why is it a replica and not a continuation of said same car???

Now if a guy like myself respectfully manufactures a car in the likeness of a vehicle that is almost 40 years old with modern manufacturing processes and techniques...then that would be a replica paying homage to the real unmolested and unmodified originals..dont you think???
Fran

Next

Return to Lola Heritage Forum