The T70 continuation series - a great idea?

Moderators: Gerald Swan, Glyn Jones, Johan

Postby sunoco » Sat Mar 04, 2006 4:45 pm

Johan,

I have 75/124. One of five lightweight spyders ever built. It was formerly owned by Skip Gunnell. Skip did a nice job of returning the car to its original spyder config. I have spent more time and money working on the little things to make it look exactly like it did in 1967. It was bought by Penske and driven by Donohue for the entire 1967 season and one USRRC race at Mid-Ohio. In late 1967 it was bought by Shelby Racing as a test car for Ford powerplants since Shelby planned to race a McClaren in the 1968 Can Am season. Revson drove it in at least one USRRC race in 1968. The car was then give to Charlie and Kerry Agapiou who started a Can Am team. Ronnie Bucknum and George Follmer drove it in the 1968 Can Am season. It is possible, though I haven't been able to document it yet, that Tom Dutton drove the car for at least one race in the 1969 Can Am season. Maybe you guys know which car Dutton drove in 1969.

73/108 was Donohue's 1967 USRRC car and Follmer drove it in the 1967 Can Am events. That car was badly damaged during tire testing and the tub was replaced by 73/126. That car was extensively damaged at Mosport, and though repaired in time for the race it is doubtful the car was able to soldier on using that tub. Some say 75/125 was used as a replacement but those familar with the Penske operation say that while 75/125 was on order it was never used by them. So that seems to be somewhat of a mystery.

One other suggestion regarding the Chassis Register. The Shelby American Club uses registrars assigned to the different models and I think that example could work with Lola. For instance, have a registrar for the over 5liter enclosed wheel cars, and a different one for the under 5liter enclosed cars. Do the same with the open wheel cars. Any thoughts on that Gerald?

One more thought on the new Lola T 70's. It seems there are a lot of fine Lola T70's out there already. To me, making another small batch doesn't enhance the image of the car or the company. The Lola T70history has already been cast by the drivers and teams of the 60's and 70's. Nothing more of any significance can be accomplished by building a handful of replicas.

I like to see all the comments and regardless of my criticisms of the web site. I too am glad to see it in existence. Keep up the good work.

Pat (aka Sunoco)

PS I hear that a another book on Donohue's racing career may be in the works spearheaded by Mark's son David.
"The experiences with those Lolas did a lot for my career." Mark Donohue
sunoco

Postby Johan » Sun Mar 05, 2006 3:03 am

Pat (not Ryan, but another Pat with a Lola T70 Penske car, right ?).

Thanks for the explanation.....Nice car ! Very original looking. You have the same wheels I was talking about (my extras).

Gerald is doing a good job so far as registrar and is swapping information with lots of sources. I have several cars worth of information to add to the list as well, and it is just getting started.

Best, Johan
PS
Napolis, I think your car looks great, but that trailer is the best. It is so clean ! Makes me want a new trailer ! What size wheels do you want ? I have some 14"x15" ones that might fit your car, as well as 17" 3b wheels.
Johan

Postby Napolis » Sun Mar 05, 2006 4:10 am

Johan wrote:Pat (not Ryan, but another Pat with a Lola T70 Penske car, right ?).

Thanks for the explanation.....Nice car ! Very original looking. You have the same wheels I was talking about (my extras).

Gerald is doing a good job so far as registrar and is swapping information with lots of sources. I have several cars worth of information to add to the list as well, and it is just getting started.

Best, Johan
PS
Napolis, I think your car looks great, but that trailer is the best. It is so clean ! Makes me want a new trailer ! What size wheels do you want ? I have some 14"x15" ones that might fit your car, as well as 17" 3b wheels.

Mine are smaller. 10X15F !2X15R
Napolis

Postby sunoco » Mon Mar 06, 2006 3:15 am

Johan,

No, not Pat Ryan. He and I seem to have a lot in common i.e. ex-Penske Lola T70's and ex-Penske Camaros. I have never met the man though I would like to. Perhaps he'll be at Amelia Island this coming weekend.

There is going to be a big Can Am display there: significant McClarens, Chapparals and, of course, my car. Is anyone else on this board heading there?

Another topic: what's the best pre-1975 Lola Sports Racer and how do they compare to the Chevrons of their day?

Pat
sunoco

Postby Glyn Jones » Mon Mar 06, 2006 4:25 pm

Gentlemen, Thank you all for your erudite comments relating to the T70 Continuation Series. There is unlikely to be a concensus on this topic and in reality there is truth in all the comments made, whether in favour or against. All I wish to add to the debate is that none of the manufacturers currently building continuation series of there old catalogue made the rule that enabled this to happen. The FIA, for reasons only the FIA can explain created a level of entry into Historic / Vintage racing for cars of recent build which are precise replicas of the originals.

In these circumstances I defy any owner of a Company with pedigree in such fields to ignore the business opportunity that is presented. The plus side of the historical manufacturers being involved is that the cars will be TRUE REPLICAS OF THE ORIGINAL. Not hot rodded specials which happen to look very similar. It has happened, and in the UK I know of 'specials' being built right now in an effort to exploit the new rule by the back door.

With regard to parts sales this is a case of being able to walk before trying to run. Lola Cars will of course be able to supply genuine, quality assured parts at sensible prices once the build of the cars is under way. This is expected to be around mid April. Regalia, badges, Tshirts etc. are planned and will hopefully appear during the 2006 season. Your input will be appreciated as to what you would find most appealing in a Heritage 'on-line' shop.

Anyone wishing to contact me direct on Parts availability or with suggestions for souveniers may do so to; glynjones@lolacars.com

Thank you all for your many and varied contributions to the Forum, please now let Gerald and me have your stories and pictures to feature in the Heritage Scrapbook which will be innaugurated within the next two weeks.

Best wishes
Glyn Jones
Glyn Jones

Postby Napolis » Mon Mar 06, 2006 4:52 pm

Glyn Jones wrote:Gentlemen, Thank you all for your erudite comments relating to the T70 Continuation Series. There is unlikely to be a concensus on this topic and in reality there is truth in all the comments made, whether in favour or against. All I wish to add to the debate is that none of the manufacturers currently building continuation series of there old catalogue made the rule that enabled this to happen. The FIA, for reasons only the FIA can explain created a level of entry into Historic / Vintage racing for cars of recent build which are precise replicas of the originals.

In these circumstances I defy any owner of a Company with pedigree in such fields to ignore the business opportunity that is presented. The plus side of the historical manufacturers being involved is that the cars will be TRUE REPLICAS OF THE ORIGINAL. Not hot rodded specials which happen to look very similar. It has happened, and in the UK I know of 'specials' being built right now in an effort to exploit the new rule by the back door.

With regard to parts sales this is a case of being able to walk before trying to run. Lola Cars will of course be able to supply genuine, quality assured parts at sensible prices once the build of the cars is under way. This is expected to be around mid April. Regalia, badges, Tshirts etc. are planned and will hopefully appear during the 2006 season. Your input will be appreciated as to what you would find most appealing in a Heritage 'on-line' shop.

Anyone wishing to contact me direct on Parts availability or with suggestions for souveniers may do so to; glynjones@lolacars.com

Thank you all for your many and varied contributions to the Forum, please now let Gerald and me have your stories and pictures to feature in the Heritage Scrapbook which will be innaugurated within the next two weeks.

Best wishes

Good Stuff!
Napolis

Postby Johan » Thu Mar 09, 2006 3:49 am

sunoco wrote:Johan,

There is going to be a big Can Am display there: significant McClarens, Chapparals and, of course, my car. Is anyone else on this board heading there?

Pat

I'll be there with a couple Lolas...
Johan

Postby sunoco » Tue Mar 14, 2006 11:48 pm

Johan,

Good to meet you in person at Amelia Island. That's a beautiful T 70 that you own! Regarding those Mecum wheels, yes, I would be interested in buying them from you. Send me an email - it's on my business card- to discuss.

Once again, it was great meeting you and I look forward to seeing you again at RA. If you go to Sebring, take good care of that car.

Pat
sunoco

Amelia Island

Postby RSFCA » Thu Mar 16, 2006 4:14 am

Johan or anyone at Amelia Island? I really would have loved to have been there. I was commited to a race at Infineon that weekend so I never made plans. As it turned out, I cancelled the race because of terrible weather and didn't do either. Does anyone have pictures from the event?

Nick
RSFCA

Postby Johan » Mon Mar 20, 2006 1:10 pm

I have some pictures and will post them on a new thread...
Johan

Postby Johan » Mon Mar 20, 2006 1:20 pm

Pat, it was nice to meet you as well. I have been to the Sebring 12 hour race and we ran the vintage deal. Pretty fun. We ned to start some new threads though so that this one can remain on topic.
I will say that many people at both Amelia and Sebring brought up the topic of the new Lolas and we all agreed that it would have been nice to look at one doing laps instead of a blank spot on the grid...

Nice car here, It took first place....

Johan

Postby Gerald Swan » Mon Mar 20, 2006 8:15 pm

Just a thought guys, if you let me have your pictures I can set up a page with them on, that way they can be available permanently :D.

Gerald
Your local friendly Webmaster
Gerald Swan

Postby Johan » Mon Mar 20, 2006 11:30 pm

I knew you would offer if I posted oversize pictures. Wait till you see how big my avatar is...+
Johan

Postby Gerald Swan » Tue Mar 21, 2006 12:14 pm

Ah Johan, you can see right through me :D.

I have to confess there is an ulterior motive (other than avoiding all that scrolling!), I want to encourage all you guys who will be attending meetings this year, wherever in the world, to send me pictures that can go on the main site and I was hoping having them all nicely laid out with captions and a promise that they would be there permanently would encourage you all :wink:.

I was wondering where all the avatars had gone since I was the only person using one. If anyone wants to have one and doesn't know how to set it up let me know and I'll either do it for you or post a quick guide. If anyone's worried it's very simple.

Oh and Johan there is an 80X80 pixel max size for avatars in force, or at least there should be. This could be increased (if I've read the manual properly!) if anyone has something really special on offer.

Gerald.
Gerald Swan

Postby Gerald Swan » Tue Mar 21, 2006 12:26 pm

Gerald Swan wrote:Ah Johan, you can see right through me :D.

I have to confess there is an ulterior motive (other than avoiding all that scrolling!), I want to encourage all you guys who will be attending meetings this year, wherever in the world, to send me pictures that can go on the main site and I was hoping having them all nicely laid out with captions and a promise that they would be there permanently would encourage you all :wink:.

I was wondering where all the avatars had gone since I was the only person using one. If anyone wants to have one and doesn't know how to set it up let me know and I'll either do it for you or post a quick guide. If anyone's worried it's very simple.

Oh and Johan there is an 80X80 pixel max size for avatars in force :lol:, or at least there should be. This could be increased (if I've read the manual properly!) if anyone has something really special on offer.

Gerald.
Gerald Swan

PreviousNext

Return to Lola Heritage Forum