T70 Spyder replica build

Moderators: Gerald Swan, Glyn Jones, Johan

T70 Spyder replica build

Postby john » Sun Sep 03, 2006 7:03 pm

Hello Lola members.

I'm am building a replica of the T70 Spyder IIIB. I purchased a orginal body that is currently have a new mold cast to reproduce a new body, The body will sit on a space frame and not a mono chassis. After the frame is skinned, it will look almost identicle to the mono. My plans are to make this replica as visually correct as possible to the blue #21 car in most magazines. I have a 1965 orginal Ford Hipo block with orginal weberset that is waiting for a new home. The Drive train will be A hewland DGZ200. I would like to know if anybody has some detailed pictures of the engine bay and front clip. I need details of what the under body chassis Looks like.

Thank

JOHN
john

Postby Johan » Mon Sep 04, 2006 1:31 am

Hi John,
I'm am having a couple of questions and I'm am having some pictures as well for you.
You want a nose without headlights, right ? Or, thinking of the 3b Spyder with 4 headlights that is the 21st car Fran Hall has made ?
Why not use the original body ? Is it in bad shape ? Does it have headlights ?

This is a nice clear shot of the front bulkhead.
Johan

Postby Johan » Mon Sep 04, 2006 1:44 am

You mean the second from the left ?
Johan

Postby Johan » Mon Sep 04, 2006 1:47 am

Or do you mean the third from the right ?
Johan

Postby Ron Earp » Tue Sep 05, 2006 1:23 pm

Very nice pictures, thanks for sharing, great line up!

The first one, 16, that cage looks familar in that car and is unique. Seems I've seen one similar, but can't place it. Very pretty car.

21 has a nice color, quite pleasing.

What motors are the various cars running?
Ron Earp

Postby Johan » Tue Sep 05, 2006 2:46 pm

The number 16 car has a 600hp 406 SBC and a Hewland DG300 that has not given any problems whatsoever, but a lot of care is taken to limit the throttle application to be smooth in nature.
It is a Heritage T70 that was part of a three car series produced in 1989.
I feel fortunate to have those three cars and it is very sturdy. John Paul Jr. drove it at this years 12 hours of Sebring vintage support race and it held up well.
The #30 car has of course a Gurney Weslake 305 in it and I drove it yesterday for the cars first outing under its own power since 1981.
The #21 car used to have a SOHC Ford in it but now has an injected SBC and is the fastest T70 spyder I've ever seen but that may be Hammish Somerville's driving as well as the car !
Johan

Postby Ron Earp » Tue Sep 05, 2006 6:33 pm

Thanks for the info on those, nice cars. So the 305 is offically out and running around? #21 used to have a SOHC 427 in it? Dang.

I'll check out on MyLaps or similar, but what sorts of times do these run at say Road Atlanta or VIR? Or any other SE track, CMP, Roebling, etc. Roebling just got repaved, looking forward to that in a couple of weeks.

Ron
Ron Earp

Postby Johan » Tue Sep 05, 2006 11:22 pm

Hammish does High 1:20's at Road Atlanta and I am around 1:16 at roebling, maybe 1:15, but not been yet on the new pavement. With a wing on the back and slicks, they get on down to 1:12 or so at Roebling.
With a better driver, less for sure. The car you have Ron is modeled after the #16 car. The molds were originally taken from the #16 car. Another set of molds and then another body and then yours popped out. I need to get around to taking a picture of the dash on that car as it is most similar to what you have to work with.
Johan

Postby Ron Earp » Wed Sep 06, 2006 1:02 am

Pretty quick times for sure! About 5-10 seconds faster than the fastest in the IT groups I race with, but heck, we've got about 1/4 the hp so we'll use that as an excuse! Hope I can get mine as fast as you guys but I won't beat it like our SCCA cars which are disposable. And I'm sure you fellows probably don't treat them so poorly either.

So the 16 car, that cage looks like one I've seen but in different car. Or maybe not, since I don't know the age of the photos. Did 16 it used to be a light blue, or steel blue? Any photos would be great, I'd appreciate it. My racing partner and I are not out to duplicate a particular car, we race so we'll use our team scheme on the car, numbers, and names. Ultimately it'll be a fun car for us with track days etc. but we are building it as we'd build our race traps except for the initial cage.

At one point when cash is available I'll probably want to source a Hewland for the car and will get you guys to help with that if willing. I'm sure you fellows will know the sources.

Best,
Ron
Last edited by Ron Earp on Wed Sep 06, 2006 11:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ron Earp

Postby john » Wed Sep 06, 2006 3:28 am

I will post pictures of the body shortly. The body is in pretty good shape.
The orignal body will be kept as a master copy. It does have the headlight cut outs but will be molded with-out. the Body also has the front and back feder flares already modified. I personally thing they are to big. When you see the pictures I will ask your opion if you think they need to be reshaped. And yes Johan it will be the 21 car second on the right in the photo posted. Thanks for the picture. Also Johan I read that you may a extra Lola Badges Available. If not, what direction can I go to get one.
Regards JOHN
john

Postby john » Tue Sep 12, 2006 11:45 pm

how do you post photos in this forum
john

Postby Ron Earp » Wed Sep 13, 2006 5:38 pm

John,

It doesn't host them, the picture has to be somewhere else to link here. I'm starting to put up my collected Lola pictures but here is an example of how it works:

That picture exists at this URL:

http://www.gt40s.com/images/lola/lola766.jpg
Ron Earp

Postby Johan » Wed Sep 13, 2006 5:55 pm

Nice picture Ron. I have that car now.
Hammish won the group 5 race and came in second in the Can Am race in his number 21 car. He and his car are very fast. He is working on putting in a SOHC.
Johan

Postby Gerald Swan » Wed Sep 13, 2006 8:16 pm

John, if you can't work out how to get your photos on the site if you would like to send them to me at gerald@lolaheritage.co.uk I'll do it for you.

Gerald
Your local friendly Webmaster
Gerald Swan

Postby Ron Earp » Thu Sep 14, 2006 3:42 pm

Johan wrote:Nice picture Ron. I have that car now.

Cool! I was wondering if it might be the same. I have some more pictures of it that used to be up on a website somewhere, but they aren't there anymore. I'll look for it with the Internet Wayback Machine, nothing is gone forever on the internet with that!

I have a few more, so this car:

and your car are indeed the same one? And the shape is the same as mine it appears.

I would really love to have a better picture of the cockpit area and of the nostril cut out for the radiator, could you shoot a couple for me? That would be really appreciated.

Ron
Ron Earp

Next

Return to Lola Heritage Forum