Lola SL142/20 Restoration

Moderators: Gerald Swan, Glyn Jones, Johan

Re: Lola SL142/20 Restoration

Postby Reto Kuprecht » Mon Jan 23, 2012 9:25 am

Back to the coolant hose. As this is running outside of the frame now, I had to make a cutout where the hose exits the left body piece:

I ran the engine with that new hose set-up - nothing leaked or behaved otherwise strangely :roll: and so it was time to bolt on the left side body piece. Next time I'll see whether the nose piece still fits over the new radiator hose - I think it will :wink:

Reto Kuprecht

Postby knotan » Tue Jan 24, 2012 9:13 pm

stilll looking god :arrow: :wink:
knotan

Postby Reto Kuprecht » Fri Jan 27, 2012 3:58 pm

A couple of views with all body sections attached. Not too bad - but still room for improvement :wink: which will be the topic for further reports.

Reto Kuprecht

Postby 911hillclimber » Fri Jan 27, 2012 5:15 pm

You must surely be joking?
Improve on this?
What a very very fabulous car and a real credit to you.
There is a big F5000 Lola that races in hillclimbs as I do in my little Lola T 492 here in England and I thought that was good, but this takes top-spot.
His car is also on Scrapbook Lola Heritage: Roger Dean.

A real pleasure seeing it come to this.

Graham.
Avid hillclimber, just bought a Lola T 492 to hillclimb.
911hillclimber

Postby Reto Kuprecht » Sun Jan 29, 2012 9:25 am

Well, I am of course pleased with the outcome as it pretty much turned out the way I saw it in my mind from the very beginning. Which is probably important - to follow a certain line through the whole project.

And I must say that comments such as yours, Graham, and other fellow Lola aficionados, are very helpful and motivating. Thanks very much for this mental support, and not to forget, many practival tips I got from experienced builders.

I have to hurry and take my newly acquired magnesium rear wheels to the workshop. I will report on that next time.
Reto Kuprecht

Postby CM-TOTB » Mon Jan 30, 2012 1:05 pm

that is really lovely. :D
GD T70 replica
CM-TOTB

Postby Rhino » Mon Jan 30, 2012 4:53 pm

Very nice Reto :D
Definitely A top notch job....you should be very proud
Rhino

Postby Reto Kuprecht » Tue Jan 31, 2012 8:35 pm

Thanks Reinhold, I am pleased to hear this from an expert. Is the 190 completely finished now? I also wonder how these Lucas-injected motors run - are they difficult to tune?
Reto Kuprecht

Postby Rhino » Tue Jan 31, 2012 10:19 pm

Lucas mechanical injection is fairly basic in set up. The most difficult part is the purge tank to fuel tanks design.
Originally these systems were run with gravity feed (up until the late 70s) to the mechanical pump. Now it is preferred to run an electric low pressure primary pump to the original purge tank and keep the whole system pressurized. As I am sure you well know Reto, space is very minimal on these 5000s.
I opted to go with the original design with no help from the injection gurus. We'll see how that works out.
As for my engine....had some minor set backs and had to send the heads back, do to water getting into the #5 cylinder. I am in the process of fitting a set of aluminum heads to the 302 and make them fit the car as well :roll: ......that is another story in itself.
You can see my progress on http://www.facebook.com under Add-Vintage Motors ,or just go to my web page at http://www.addvintagemotors.com and click on the facebook icon . I will be sending a Youtube video of the engine dyno test in a couple of weeks. Thanks for asking. 8)

If you ever have any questions Reto, please feel free to ask :wink:
Rhino

Postby Reto Kuprecht » Wed Feb 01, 2012 8:56 am

Reinhold, I went to your facebook site and see that you really are a jack of all trades. And that engine problem is intriguing. Did you use original old heads?
Reto Kuprecht

Postby Rhino » Wed Feb 01, 2012 5:04 pm

The 190 came with the original DZ302 with original 1970 492 casting angle plug heads that were used by Traco in the period.
I sent the heads to Valley Head Service who were the original head builder for Traco and Bartz in the late 60s to the 70s. I thought I had coverd all my bases; however, I was proven to be incorrect :|
The original heads are at Valley at this moment, being repaired, and will go back on the DZ 302 that came in the T-190. The DZ is re-build able and has been crack checked. The only problem I came across was that the cylinder walls were at .130" in spots during a sonic check. A little too thin for racing, but can be re-sleeved and used for show or street purposes. The nitrated Crank shaft is standard and straight.

If you know anyone interested in a original 1970 Can AM 302 Reto? Let me know.....

P.S. That is a "Master of all trades and Jack of none :lol:
Rhino

Postby Reto Kuprecht » Thu Feb 09, 2012 8:57 am

Reinhold, very interesting insights on your 302! And most of all, I saw your new engine test video - looks really great now. Nothing beats an engine with all associated systems which has been run in properly on the dyno. That can save a lot of work afterwards.

You are mentioning an original 302 :wink: Well, I'd probably need a suitable project car first, and then look for a matching motor. Or the other way around? :roll: But I will mention it to F5000 people around me. Do you have a photo of this motor?

My efforts here have been slowed down a bit by the icy weather. We have around minus 10 deg C. for more than a week now, and it's continuing that way. I do have a heater in my workshop, but it can't cope with such low temps. What I am doing now is preparing a set of original magnesium wheels. They are correct, but I do have to make small changes to make them fit on the wheel studs I have, and then do a bit of cosmetic work on them. I won't do much however, and for sure not apply paint in any way. Right now my plan is to bead-blast them, put them on a lathe and scotch-brite the rims. And then just soak them with Gibbs Brand lubricant (which I have used successfully before).
Reto Kuprecht

Postby Rhino » Mon Feb 13, 2012 4:45 am

Reto,
If any one is truly interested in the 302...just send me an email at addvintage@roadrunner.com serious enquires only please :wink:
Rhino

Postby Reto Kuprecht » Fri Feb 24, 2012 9:11 pm

For those who have wondered how an amateur was able to create his own headers, with a specific diameter, of equal lengths, meeting properly in their merge collectors, and all that with aesthetically pleasing lines :roll: I'll disclose how I did it.

I used the "Icengineworks" exhaust header mockup system. Without this, it would have been absolutely impossible to achieve this result in a first attempt. Bear in mind, I have never done this before. Here is a story on the system, or go to their website:

http://horsepowersports.com/icenginewor ... ike-a-pro/

There is plenty of info on the web now, including youtube videos. And no, I have no business relation with them 8)

With my firsthand experience I can say that it made it possible at all to do this myself, however, it still did take time and was a challenge. Partly perhaps, because I decided not to buy a metal band saw and the special cutting templates/tools as I knew it would be a one-time project. So I cut the stainless tubing all with a normal hacksaw, guided by a home-made device to ensure precise radial cuts. Strong arms were a great side effect of this :lol:

The first photo shows the final layout - after trying many variants. Important: There should as many sections with equal radius and orientation as possible. This will result in fewer sections, i.e. less welding. I decided on 1 3/4 " diameter headers and bought the appropriate kit for this:

Then the plastic segments are labelled, taken apart, and transferred to the metal:

Then I cut the sections as precisely as possible - and radial of course:

The result of that are precise dublicates of the plastic mockup segments. And a hurting right arm :lol:

Then, the segments are clamped together with the special "tack clamps". They hold the pieces together, fine adjustments can be made, and they leave room to tack weld everything. Caution here: Final welding will distort the material and will move the tube ends out of their place if not held there during welding:

I then had a pro do the welding - too much work went into this to botch up everything with a bad welding job:

So, as the result shows, it really works. And it would work better for me now, after this first project. If I'd do it again, I would buy the cutting tools, work with a bandsaw and provide for a more rigid fixing of the tube ends (where they meet into the collector) and try to weld ON the car.
Last edited by Reto Kuprecht on Fri Jun 01, 2012 7:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reto Kuprecht

Postby Reto Kuprecht » Sat Feb 25, 2012 8:24 pm

Very important session today: Installing the data plate. No problems were encountered doing this - what a surprise :lol:

We are preparing the car now for its first outing at the "Bosch Historics Hockenheim" in April. I am sure there will be many more pictures of the car on the track, and fewer, I hope, in the workshop.
Last edited by Reto Kuprecht on Fri Jun 01, 2012 7:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reto Kuprecht

PreviousNext

Return to Lola Heritage Forum