Can Am 40th reunion in 2006

Moderators: Gerald Swan, Glyn Jones, Johan

Can Am 40th reunion in 2006

Postby Johan » Tue Nov 29, 2005 3:42 pm

HI,
With 2006 rapidly approaching, now is the time to get that old Can Am car in raceable condition so that you can participate in the planned 40th reunions of the 1966 season.
The Amelia Island Concourse De'Elegance (March 10-12) starts the ball rolling with Can Am as a featured Marque, followed by a special invitation to The Sebring (March 16-18 ) 12 hour race as a treat for having made the journey to Florida.
Check the following websites for the race shedules, and be sure not to miss the HSR Watler Mitty Challenge in April, or the SVRA Brian Redman International Challenge (The BRIC) Can Am reunion in July or the SVRA Zippo Vintage Gran Prix in September.

Schedules can be found here :
www.HSRRACE.com (Historic Sportscar Racing)
www.SVRA.com (Sportscar Vintage Racing Association)
www.HistoricCanAm.com (Historic Can Am )

I plan on having my Gurney T70 Spyder(SL71/34) at least functional and seeing as how it has not traveled under it's own power in over 25 years, if I can do it so can you !
I believe Paul Wilson will also be attending with his Buck Fulp car (SL71/18 ), and I also plan on having SL76/144 as a backup. Anyone else have definate plans on coming to a few of the events ?

Please let me know if I can be of any assistance in helping you to attend with your car.
Best,
Johan

Johan

Road America

Postby RSFCA » Sun Dec 04, 2005 4:16 pm

I plan to come out from California with my T160, I am preparing it this coming spring after some engine repairs and fuel injection updates are completed. We should try to coordinate a "Lola Camp" and see if Lola wants to participate.
RSFCA

Postby Glyn Jones » Fri Dec 09, 2005 6:11 pm

Hi Guys, A Lola Camp is a great idea - but at which event?

I will be visiting Elkhart Lake in July '06 and may be able to organise some kind of gathering but does this suit everyone else?
Glyn Jones
Glyn Jones

Reunion

Postby RSFCA » Sat Dec 10, 2005 1:25 am

I was planning to attend the BRIC at Elkhart Lake for the Can Am reunion. I think that will be the highlight for the year.
RSFCA

Postby Johan » Thu Dec 15, 2005 1:01 pm

I'll be at Road America for the BRIC, and it is now run by SVRA. I have some pretty good friends there so we can get a good spot to park. We can not have an "ALL LOLA" race at the BRIC, but perhaps we can have a
Lola tent and park around it with our rigs and have a cook-out .
Johan

Postby David Pozzi » Fri Dec 16, 2005 7:18 am

Hello guys!
I hope to bring my Lola T-70 Mk1 to BRIC this coming year too.
A Lola get-together would be great!

I attended the BRIC 30th as a spectator, and they had a Can-Am hospitality tent for the racers. If that is done for the 40th, perhaps Lola could host a Lola owners get-together there for us some time during the event?
David
David Pozzi

Postby Johan » Fri Dec 16, 2005 1:01 pm

Hey David, good to hear from you. A few folks from Lola have been planning on coming over for the BRIC , and I am trying to secure a way to park together or at least in the same vicinity. I am having some success. I will have a motorhome at that location with a Lola flag, lots of stuff to eat and drink, and Lola enthusiasts are welcome. I am trying top get a big tent, but space is very tight due to the high number of entrants.
Johan

Lola Tent

Postby RSFCA » Fri Jan 06, 2006 2:44 am

I am coming out from San Diego and possibly the team that is transporting will have room for possibly two others from here if anyone is interested in teaming up. Let me know.

Nick
RSFCA

Postby Johan » Fri Jan 06, 2006 3:52 am

Great. Please fill those spots with Lolas. David Pozzi is from California...
I am working on securing a "gathering spot" for us so that at some point, we can at least have a group photo, and I'm going to have enough food and refreshments so that we don't have to stand around "empty handed".
George Stauffer(owns 2 T70's) is contacting the President of the track to see what is available to us as a "car club". You must remember that this is one of the largest vintage race weekends in the world and the pits are very crowded.
Johan

Reunion

Postby RSFCA » Fri Jan 06, 2006 10:55 pm

I spoke with Pam Shatraw at the Historic Can Am Association who is organizing the 40th Anniversary Reunion at Road America. She said it may be difficult to seperate a Lola only area since it will have many logistical challenges due to the sheer size and scope of the event. We would be better off trying to coordinate with her and the HCAA since they will have several tent activities/dinners/parties planned already. Perhaps Lola Heritage might get involved as a sponsor and we could organize through them. As far as opportunities go, it would be a great showcase for the Continuation T70 for display but I am not sure if that would even be possible. Pam's information for the Heritage group is Pam Shatraw, Events Manager, 2460 Park Blvd. #4, Palo Alto, CA 94301
(650) 321-1411
(650) 321-4426 FAX
Here is a link to the event info
http://www.historiccanam.com/Can-Am%202006.pdf

Let's keep this going as we will no doubt be hooking up there anyway.
RSFCA

Postby Johan » Sat Jan 07, 2006 3:31 am

I agree with you and Pam about the difficulties, and I am happy to tag along with the Can Am folks (and drink their beer too), but George Stauffer is going to go meet with the President of the track to see what is available. Let's see what he finds out. In the meantime, Please try to get your fellow Lola Owners to bring their cars even if just for display.
Johan

Road America

Postby RSFCA » Thu Jan 26, 2006 2:51 am

Pam is interested in hearing from anyone at Lola if they would like to participate in the event. Let me know if you need her information. Also, if anyone is considering going, the hotel rooms are really hard to come by during this event and you should consider booking now if you haven't already. Not a lot of hotels around Elkhart Lake.

Nick

Johan wrote:I agree with you and Pam about the difficulties, and I am happy to tag along with the Can Am folks (and drink their beer too), but George Stauffer is going to go meet with the President of the track to see what is available. Let's see what he finds out. In the meantime, Please try to get your fellow Lola Owners to bring their cars even if just for display.
RSFCA

Postby Johan » Thu Jan 26, 2006 5:20 am

I would suggest renting a motorhome for the event and stay at the track !
Johan

BRIC

Postby RSFCA » Sat Apr 15, 2006 6:23 pm

I think we have our trailer spots filled now. At least two Lola's on there. I am also bringing my Brabham to run in another class. Any other plans for the week?
RSFCA

Postby sunoco » Mon Apr 24, 2006 10:02 pm

Looks like there will be at least 10 Lolas at the Can Am reunion this year - four of the 160 variants and the rest T 70 spyders and coupes. The field looks to be comprised mainly of McClarens. However, there are a few Shadows and McKees too. Right now there are about 30 cars that are committed. I'm sure more will show up as we get closer to July.
"The experiences with those Lolas did a lot for my career." Mark Donohue
sunoco

Next

Return to Lola Heritage Forum