Lola Aston

Moderators: Gerald Swan, Glyn Jones, Johan

Lola Aston

Postby yoyo » Wed May 06, 2009 11:16 am

Hi everybody,

I writing this post in reaction of a news that annonced the return to Goodwood festival of speed of the Lola Aston sl 121 at Press Day. That was great news as I loved the Lola Aston in Le Mans 1967 configuration with the rear hood looking alike P4's. Too bad it just raced three laps... However, when I saw the picture I was very surprised to see that the car is dark blue, and looking like new while the original car is believed to be still in its orginal condition and red (as the last race configuration). It is also reported on another website that another person in the USA is wrongly claiming the same chassis number for some years, which lead me to think that the one invited by Goodwood is the wrong one... This sound very intriging! Does anyone has some informtion about those cars?
yoyo

Postby Glyn Jones » Tue May 12, 2009 11:43 am

YOYO,

It has been known for many years that a third Lola Aston had been created outside the Lola Factory. As with most similar events it occured at a time when historic racing did not have a high profile and values were low. The Lola Factory would not have shown any interest as they had moved on to newer and more interesting projects.

Thirty or more years later any dispute as to authenticity or origin must be a matter between the owners of the cars when the issue arises.

I have worked with the Goodwood organisers for the past three years and I know they have the knowledge and wisdom to make an appropriate decision when it comes to selecting cars for their events. I am sure that wisdom will be applied in this case.
Glyn Jones
Glyn Jones

Return to Lola Heritage Forum