Question for the factory... or T332 experts

Moderators: Gerald Swan, Glyn Jones, Johan

Question for the factory... or T332 experts

Postby DJSILLS » Mon Jan 21, 2008 8:54 pm

Were chassis plates always attached to the top front of original T332 tubs, or on a later run were they attached to the lower leg cover/support?

THANKS
DJSILLS

Postby Johan » Tue Jan 22, 2008 6:04 pm

Good question.
Johan

Postby DJSILLS » Tue Jan 22, 2008 6:23 pm

I believe I have the answer to my own question. The chassis plate was (missing of course) mounted in the same position as used on the T400, but on the right hand side instead of the left - on the back end panel between the third and fourth rivet up from the bottom. Can anyone else verify?

Thanks
DJSILLS

Postby Johan » Tue Jan 22, 2008 7:49 pm

Can you clarify ? You lost me a bit there.
Johan

Postby DJSILLS » Tue Jan 22, 2008 8:46 pm

Johan,

Go to the www.investcar.com website, then Cars for sale (sold) ,Lola T400, more photos.

Same position, but on the right side. I can send you a photo of the cut rivets on my tub, but maybe you have one of your own.
DJSILLS

Postby Graham » Tue Jul 08, 2008 11:30 am

There are so many 332s whose chassis plate is riveted to the top of the monocoque, at the front, that you have to believe this is where the factory put them.

I have also seen chassis plates attached to the rear of the monocoque, just in front of the rear wheel, and also on the extreme front edge of the monocoque. I don't know if the factory ever attached the plates in either of these positions, or if they have been added later.

My own car has its plate on top, at the front - as I believe most were.
Graham

Postby Johan » Tue Jul 08, 2008 12:33 pm

I agree Graham. The chassis takes a stone beating in front of the rear tires (just try wiping one down and the cloth snags there on the burrr) and is not an ideal spot for a data plate. I looked on mine and there is a place a plate fits fairly well and it is visable.
If a car was to do a lot of traveling overseas, through customs, it might possibly have been moved there so that the agents could see a chassis plate without removing bodywork.
Johan

Postby Graham » Tue Jul 08, 2008 12:50 pm

That would certainly make sense, and is a plausible explanation for the location at the back of the tub.
Graham

Re: Question for the factory... or T332 experts

Postby DJSILLS » Wed Nov 30, 2011 11:19 pm

Let's try this question again, but with some new information. Lola supplied Carl Haas customers with replacement T332 tubs. I believe Brian Redman used at least one, if not several. Also, when a car was upgraded from a T330, it appears a fresh T332 tub may have been used. Does anyone know the facts about replacement tubs? I have been told that a Haas supplied replacement had no holes for a chassis plate in front, (the same as mine) yet my tub does have cut blind rivets where a plate was attached to the back of the tub in front of the RIGHT rear wheel.

Any help would be appreciated.
DJSILLS

Return to Lola Heritage Forum