CANAMSA - T70 spyder inspired scratchbuild in SA

Moderators: Gerald Swan, Glyn Jones, Johan

Postby FredWB » Sun Jan 13, 2008 12:41 pm

My friend who originally drew the body volunteered to do some work on the nose of the car. By now he had made himself a 3-axis router in his garage at home. This is the refined front view drawing, which was used to generate a tool path to cut the front 250mm of the nose .The part was cut in 3 sections which were glued together

Last edited by FredWB on Sun Jan 13, 2008 2:07 pm, edited 2 times in total.
FredWB

Postby FredWB » Sun Jan 13, 2008 12:42 pm

My nose has ended up more like the "heritage" cars

FredWB

Postby FredWB » Sun Jan 13, 2008 12:50 pm

I originally cut the rear air inlets too far back into the rear wings, so they are were bigger than they should be. I'm happier with them now. I've made provision for a wider roll bar then on the originals, so the inner closeout point is more like a GD than an original

FredWB

Postby FredWB » Sun Jan 13, 2008 12:52 pm

I have also had to add a bit more "bulge" to the inside side of the front wheel arch bulges (above the tops of the front wheels),

FredWB

Postby FredWB » Sun Jan 13, 2008 12:54 pm

Have now started adding a bit more "fat" to the rear wheel arch humps towards the center of the rear deck.

FredWB

Postby FredWB » Sun Jan 13, 2008 12:55 pm

I am now pretty much finished with the body shaping. I started building the body pattern in January last year (2007).

The next steps will be to cover the pattern with a layer of chopped strand mat and resin, followed by body filler, and then surfacing compound which will finally be finished to give a suitable surface for moulds.
I still have a lot of work to go yet:

surface body pattern
make body moulds
make body
mount body on proto chassis
make real suspension
make real chassis
build up car for real
get it on the road
replace "cooking" engine with dry sumped tuned version (already in hand)

I would like to acknowledge the invaluable help I have received from several owners of original cars, who have sent me photographs and measured dimensions from cars and bodywork that they own. I have made contact with them through the excellent www.gt40s.com. forum.

I really don't know how people did this sort if thing before the internet.

Cheers

FredWB
FredWB

Postby Gerald Swan » Mon Jan 14, 2008 4:11 pm

All I can say is WOW :shock:. Having done a lot of restorations over the years I know how fiddly and time-consuming it is to repair/modify/create one small piece of bodywork. Doing everything from scratch is a real labour of love.

It sounds to me as if you are taking the exactly the right approach, building a "Tribute" rather than a "Replica". If you made an exact replica you would always get the "well it's not a T70 underneath" brigade! Taking the time now to get it to look the way you want it to be has got to be right, you are the one who will have to live with it when it's finished :D.

Please keep posting pictures and keep us informed of how things are going, I can't wait to see the finished article.

Gerald.
Your local friendly Webmaster
Gerald Swan

Postby Johan » Mon Jan 14, 2008 5:57 pm

Impressive isn't it...!
Fred, thanks for going to the trouble to post this interesting thread here.
Johan

Postby FredWB » Tue Jan 15, 2008 6:32 pm

Thanks for responses guys.

I will post further pics as events warrent, but don'r hold your breath, everything takes ages...

Cheers

FredWB
FredWB

Postby Marcus » Tue Jan 15, 2008 6:38 pm

Fred,

think I´ve got a pretty good idea of what you´re talking about...

Gorgeous work, congrats (hope you´re not getting tired of people admiring your work)

Best,

Marcus
Marcus

Postby Johan » Tue Jan 15, 2008 7:13 pm

Marcus, you have been working on a 3b project, have you not ?
We would like to see that as well ! Maybe a good way to drum up some parts.
Johan

Postby Marcus » Wed Jan 23, 2008 1:54 pm

Johan,

many thanks for your encouragement, will start my scratchbuild thread here soon.

Best,

Marcus
Marcus

Postby FredWB » Sun Feb 17, 2008 6:38 pm

So now we have bigger hips and finally I am happy with the major details of the shape.

Cheers

Fred W B

FredWB

Postby Christiaan » Sun Aug 10, 2008 2:11 pm

Hi Fred,

The work you did here is absolutely mindblowing. I have been wanting to do something similar for almost ten years but am finding it tough to get the motivation to build a complex plug such as the one you created. I have done some CAD drawings of my own project and have been searching for somebody in Johannesburg to mill foam blocks for me to make a body. It has been tremendously difficult for many reasons.

This brings me to a question. Can one not use the technique you have used to create a nose to create an entire body - piece by piece?
Christiaan

Postby FredWB » Mon Dec 22, 2008 6:19 pm

So, an update!

I have not been making progress as fast as I'd like, getting a consistent uniform shape and radius on the edges around all the openings has been taking ages. I have got through over 50 kg of body filler so far. I am now working with 120 grit paper and trying to get up to a dark ABF guide coat that will be the last iteration before the primer surfacer can go on.

Currently I am pretty happy with all the top, side and rear panel surfaces, as well as the cockpit edges. The rear wheel arch edges are pretty much done, as are the edges of the "hip" ducts. The internal surfaces of these still need some more work, as does the front wheel arches and the edges of the openings in the front of the nose. After that the only major job left is finishing the inner faces and edges of the radiator exit duct.

I attach some photos

Cheers

Fred W B

FredWB

PreviousNext

Return to Lola Heritage Forum