info please on T160 upright bearing pre-load

Moderators: Gerald Swan, Glyn Jones, Johan

info please on T160 upright bearing pre-load

Postby Tom Walker » Tue Dec 11, 2007 11:49 am

I am about to do the final build on my T160 magnesium uprights. Can anyone supply information as to the correct pre-load on the 2 taper-roller bearings ?

There is a spacer between the bearings that gauges the distance between the bearing inners, and effectively sets the distance between the bearings, so I understand that you need to machine this spacer to the correct length. The question is.....how tight should the bearings be when the whole lot is cold, in the workshop.

I understand that the magnesium uprights, when warmed, are going to expand at a different rate to the steel stub axles, but I dont know what effect that will have once the whole shooting-match gets on the track.

I expect there could be a difference "front to back" as well.

Thanks, Tom.
Tom Walker

Rear upright pre-load

Postby Rhino » Fri Dec 14, 2007 4:55 am

Hi Tom,
I am in the process of restoring a T190. I was speeking with Chris Fox and he explained to me that the pre-load should have .001" to .002" play.

I have also spoken to a Gentalman by the nam of Bill Moir in Salinas California. He has been restoring and building Lola Can Am vehicles back in the sixties until present. Ha had explained to me that it also depends on how old your mag castings are. The newer should run at .001" to .002", wile the older should run at .002" to .004".

Hope this helps.
Cheers,
Reinhold
Rhino

Return to Lola Heritage Forum