T160 #SL160/9

Moderators: Gerald Swan, Glyn Jones, Johan

T160 #SL160/9

Postby Tom Walker » Fri Feb 09, 2007 1:04 pm

Hallo Lola Forumists, I have recently realised a life-long dream, and purchased a T160, and am immersed in a re-build and history search. I am having lots of fun. (Except for the bills!) What a lovely car.

I have browsed this forum and lots of very useful stuff has been gleaned, so I am just introducing myself and have one or two problems/questions to resolve. I have been on another forum and met Gerald and Glyn through that, so sorry if I am repeating something, but I have moved on a bit since then.

The wheels that came with the car are wrong, and cant be made to fit properly....are originals or copies available in the UK ? The attachment is 6 long bolts, not central nut. (Is it really safe to use the bolts alone to transmit all that torque?!)

The fuel system is a nice looking Alan Smith Slide inlet manifold with Lucas mechanical injection. Does anyone have experience with this set-up.....I would like to know if its going to work and whether it has any "quirks". (Like sticking open !! A friend remarked you need to make sure you can hook your toe under the throttle pedal !)

History-wise, the car has 163 body work, and I wonder if it always did. Or certainly from early on....John Erickson, who now works for Penske Racing, owned the car in the mid 70's, and it had the later body then. I am hoping John will send me some photos of the car as it was then.

How easy will it be to trace a 160 with 163 clothes??

The earliest owner I have a name for was Otto Uecker, who I cannot find in person.... his ex-wife hasnt seen him for 20 years ! Does anyone have any leads to him?

I look forward to meeting Lola owners and afficionados over the coming months.

Tom.
Tom Walker

Postby HoJo » Sun Feb 11, 2007 6:54 pm

Hi Tom,

Regarding the wheels and bolts, you could do worse than e-mail Chris Fox on chris@foxmotorsport.combased not far from Lola in Huntingdon.

He supplied me with new magnesium wheels (8's & 10's) for my 1965 T70 Mk1 and studs to suit. I believe these are Mk111 type to original pattern, which is a similar vintage to the T160. The 6 stud setup is fine for original dimension wheels and historic tyres. Once you stray into the area of wide and sticky slicks, for which the car was not really designed, you should consider more recent engineering solutions, including for the transmission.

Caveat - I have yet to actually race my T70, so, what do I know! :roll:

Regards Howard
HoJo

Postby Johan » Mon Feb 12, 2007 11:56 pm

I think these are possibly the wheels you want...

perhaps shown here...

I'm not too familiar with a T160
The above wheels are correct I believe for a T163.
Johan

Return to Lola Heritage Forum