LOLA DE CADENET

Moderators: Gerald Swan, Glyn Jones, Johan

LOLA DE CADENET

Postby MUSTANG66 » Sat Jan 27, 2007 3:04 pm

I am doiing some research and true fact about the story and De Cadenet Chassis.

Who can help me ?

LM1 is the Duckhams ! and was not a Lola, but a Gordon Murray’s based on a BT33. The car ran Le Mans in 72 and 73 as a Duckhams then in 1974 as a green De Cadenet. Some people think it became the Colin Hawker DFVW in 1975 with a VW Variant Body shell. I am sure that it is correct.

LM2 is believed to be the T380 HU01 ran by De Cadenet at Le mans in 75 with a nearly standart body work (number 4) and then modified in 76 to run Le Mans (number 12); the car had a bulb nose.
In 77, the car sold to Dorset Racing, but with a Alain De Cadenet entry fail to qualify (number 6) had still a bulb nose. Tony Birchenough from the Dorset was at the wheel with Simon Philips.
In 78, the car was entered as a De Cadenet Lola T380 by Simon Philips. It was yhe Bat Car still with a bulb nose, with Martin raymondat the wheel.
In 79, the car was entered as a Lola T286 (!!!!!!) still with a bulb nose, by Fison Agricole - Simon Phillip.
So for this car , I think that common point is the bulb nose, lola, dorset racing and simon Philips. After that, the car disappear and you told me that the car is now in Scandinavia.

LM3 is believed to be ADC77/01 built by Alain De Cadenet with Lola corners ?
It appears in Le Mans as number 5 in 1977.
In 78, three cas was entered, so one of them was a new one (LM2, LM3 and the new LM4).
LM2 was the Bat Car.
LM3 and LM4 was entered by Alain De Cadenet himself.
Number 8 for him and Craft (ACO said De Cadenet Lola T380 !, ADC said De Cadenet Lola 76/77 !)
Number 9 for Cooper Lovett Evans (ACO said De Cadenet Lola LM ! ADC said De Cadenet Lola 75/77) who fail to qualify.
Who cheat ?
So LM4 was ADC78/01 ! but we don’t know if Alain take the new car for him.

In 1979, also three cars :
LM2 is the Fisons car (number 15)
John Cooper Racing entered a Lola T281 SG (number 3) for him and Lovett and Morrison. I think that it the same car than in 1978. The car was white with a big red cross.
T281 does not exist as a Lola, SG mean St Georges ? (ACO guys are stupid !)
Alain entered the number 8 as De Cadenet LM
Wich one is LM3 and Wich one is LM4.

In 1980 : two cars.
Alain entered the De Cadenet LM number 8 (I suppose the same car than the previous year)
Nick Faure entered a De Cadenet LM number 11 for him Jones and De Dryiver. This car was white a red and blue stripe. But did not qualify.

In 1981 : two cars
Alain entered the number 20 with Belga livery (Murry Smith , the team manager for the car (?) ) said it was a car from 78 named De Cadenet LM, ACO also it’s a De Cadenet LM !) The car had a 3300 DFV for testing only. I think it the same car than in 1980. I hope that this car is the Martin Biranne car I saw at Le Mans Classic 2006, with a chassis dataplate GLC 913.
G for Gordon Murray
L for Len Bailey or Lola (Lola suspension)?
C for Cadenet ?
913 (what is this number for ?)
I think this car is LM4 or ADC78/01. That means that Alain used the new car back in 1978 !

Dorset Racing entered the number 21 for Faure, Candy, Birranne. The car had a 3000 DFV and was known as a De Cadenet Lola T380 #T380-HU1-=>LM-2 at Brands Hatch 1000 km (according to Rracing Sports Cars) and De Cadenet LM for ACO ! and Number 23 in DRM Zolder 1982.
We should ask dorset-racing to know what was this car is ! LM2, LM3 or LM4 ?
I think because of Faure, it was the ex-Cooper car.

So wich car become the first Ecosse Group C ? LM3 or LM4 ? According to Sportscaruniverse, it was ADC78/01 :
“In 1982, Hugh McCaig associates itself with the journalist Graham Gauld to reform the prestigious Ecurie Scotland, returned if famous by its victories to the Mans in the years 50 with typical Jaguars C and D. For this done McCaig does the acquisition of a chassis (the n° ADC78/1 former dorset Racing) of an old one of Cadenet Lola Groups 6 that Ray Mallock, implied since the beginning in the project, modifies according to its own drawings. Provided with a flat bottom the monocoque is realized in the workshops of the firm TC Prototypes of John Thompson to Northampton, Great Britain.
And Ray Mallock confirm on his website : “The second project being undertaken was for a group of Scottish businessmen who had re-launched the famous Ecurie Ecosse team. Based upon a de Cadenet chassis RML developed the car to accept a completely new bodywork package, a shape that would be familiar in sportscar racing throughout the eighties.” But he don’t told us which De Cadenet it is. Confusing is possible because Mallock drove the Fisons car in Le Mans 1979 and it was a Dorset car !
The car was totally destroyed in a crash.
So the Ecosse could be a Dorset car or a ADC78/01. Yes we should ask Dorset Racing, if they remember, if they purchased the LM2 T380, the LM3 ADC77/01 or LM4 ADC78/01

The only thing that we are sure is that there is only two De Cadenet still existing :
The LM1 Duckams and the Martin Birrane’s car (GLC 913)

About the ADA Minor :
People think that the ADA minor has no common point with De Cadenet, except the nose ! The car is believed built bye Cris Crawford based upon a T290. The name De Cadenet Lola was use in Le Mans in 1982 and 1983. Maybe because the car use some components of a De Cadenet, but I think it was only to get an entry to Le Mans, because Alain was well known and well appreciate by ACO officials. And maybe also because the car had some papers from a De Cadenet to cross the sea ! May we ask Cris Crawford about these fact?

Sorry for my bad English ! I am French and I work for Infos Course each year at Le Mans since 1994 (My first Le Mans was in 1972 !)
MUSTANG66

Return to Lola Heritage Forum